My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Sweet & Spicy Pretzels

Sweet & Spicy Pretzels. Cinnamon, Sugar & Chipotle! I will warn you in advance that these are completely addictive! I ate almost the entire batch myself over the course of the week. Every time I walked past them...they just jumped into my mouth! These are easy to make and I am sure you can play around with the recipe and add or delete ingredients to customize them. (I used gluten free pretzels but you can use regular pretzels if you don't have a gluten allergy or you can use other gluten free crunchy items like Corn Chex, Rice Chex or add nuts if desired. I chose to just keep it basic). I found the recipe on the internet and changed it just a little so I could use ingredients I already had at home.

This recipe is great for parties, tailgating, game day, road trips, card games, camping or hostess gifts if you put them in cute little festive bags or a nice jar. They are a very easy to make but one that everyone can enjoy. They are even a great treat for a casual weekend movie night! You can dress them up with some melted chocolate drizzle or just leave them plain. I like them both ways. (I tried them without the chocolate drizzle and then again with the drizzle....just for quality assurance of course!) I would leave the chocolate drizzle off if you plan on making them specifically for a road trip or camping as the chocolate may melt if you are in a warm climate. Of course that wouldn't stop me from eating them! :)

I used Snyder's brand gluten free pretzels for this batch today. I have found the Snyder's brand at the following places in Arizona: Albertson's Grocery Store near 91st Ave & Bell Road, Military Commissary, and Whole Foods. If you can't find them then ask your grocer. Many of the grocery stores will order them for you if you ask. Glutino pretzels also work well. (The reason I used Snyder's brand today is that they are the same price as the regular Snyder's pretzels and they allow you to use Snyder's coupons on them. Since I had $1 off coupons....they were a bargain for me today!) You can easily cut this recipe in half if you are just using one smaller bag of pretzels.

Sweet & Spicy Pretzels:
  • 16-18 oz. Pretzels (I used two 8 oz. bags of Snyder's Gluten Free Pretzels) but you can cut the recipe in half if you are using a smaller bag or you can add other ingredients like nuts, Chex, etc. You can use regular pretzels if you do not have a gluten allergy!
  • 1/2 cup oil (I used Olive Oil)
  • 4 tbs sugar (I used Raw Sugar but you can use regular sugar)
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon 
  • 1/2 tsp. ground Chipotle or Cayenne Pepper (You can omit this if you prefer or add extra if you like it more spicy. I just wanted a hint of heat and since kids were eating it too...I didn't want to go overboard on the pepper. It turned out great. You got the sweet cinnamon and sugar and then just a hint of heat tingled on the tongue.)
  • 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar (I just used 1/2 cup sugar + 2 heaping tablespoons of cinnamon mixed together. This is in addition to the 4 tbs. sugar & 2 tsp. cinnamon already listed above. This will be sprinkled on later. You can also add a tiny pinch of Chipotle or Cayenne Pepper to this sugar as well if you want a little extra zip). 
  • 1 cup of either white or semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
Whisk the oil, 4 tbs. sugar, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground Chipotle together. Pour over the pretzels and stir until well coated. You can either microwave the coated pretzels for 1 minute and remove and stir gently & put back into microwave for additional 45 seconds OR spread onto a cookie sheet and bake at 275 degrees for 10-15 minutes (check to make sure nothing is burning after 10 minutes!). Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup of cinnamon sugar mixture generously while still warm. Spread out the pretzels onto a couple of paper bags or newspapers to cool completely. (It will also soak up any extra oil).

At this point you can melt one cup of either white chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate in the microwave in 30 minute intervals (stirring every 30 seconds) until melted completely so that you can drizzle it. (Or you can melt on the stove top in a double boiler). Drizzle melted chocolate over the pretzels. I think they look just perfect at this point but you can take it a step farther and sprinkle with some festive holiday M&Ms or sprinkles if you really want a festive accent! (These pretzels are also great without the melted chocolate or any extras. Just the simplicity of the cinnamon sugar with the salty pretzels is a wonderful treat for the tongue!)

I suggest at this point you start bagging them up for friends and getting them out of the house if you don't want to increase your pant size over the next few days by hogging them all down by yourself! I love sweet & salty together and of course I added a little Chipotle so I couldn't quit eating them. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about these little crunchy delicious pretzels! If you are making them for game day then put them in the clear cellophane bags and tie them with curly ribbon in colors of your favorite team! My little bags would be tied with Scarlet & Gray to support the Buckeyes. The Michigan fans (most of my friends out here in Arizona) would not be allowed to eat them. JUST KIDDING! These cute little treat bags not only look awesome for guests but will keep you from being tempted to put your hands in the bowl and continue eating them!





I hope you enjoy this super yummy and very easy recipe!

Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

No comments:

Post a Comment