My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)

Bulgogi is a Korean BBQ marinade. We really like it at our  house. It is thinly sliced beef that is put in marinade and then either grilled or quickly pan fried. You can serve it over rice or wrapped in lettuce leaves. I also make the "lazy version" in the crock pot. I know it isn't traditional but it is SO EASY, super yummy & it cooks itself.  I like dishes that do most of the work for me!

For today's dinner & photos, I did the LAZY version. I mixed the ingredients for the marinade and threw it in the crock pot with a beef roast. (You can substitute chicken or pork if you prefer).

The sauce has a slightly sweet/sour flavor - more similar to teriyaki than BBQ - at least in my opinion. Our friend, Katy Chavez shared this recipe with me a few years ago and I make it frequently. I usually just serve with steamed oriental vegetable mix & rice. Occasionally, I serve this as an appetizer wrapped in lettuce leaves.

Bulgogi Marinade Recipe:
  • 1/2 cup sugar (can substitute with raw sugar)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce (I use Tamari Gluten free & reduced sodium)
  • 1 tsp. ginger (I use fresh ginger but you can substitute ground ginger from the spice isle or ginger that you find in the refrigerated section of the vegetable/fresh herb department that comes crushed in a tube - similar to a toothpaste tube)
  • 1 tbs. minced garlic (I use the minced one in a jar)
  • 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
  • 2 tsp. Sesame Oil
*The original recipe does not call for chili flakes but if I am feeling a little sassy...then I add a sprinkle of them for some kick!

Mix all ingredients together and marinade meat. (If you are putting it in the crock pot like I did today, just dump it over the meat & cook on low.  My crock pot quits cooking when it has reached 10 hours and then just keeps it warm. Just make sure you cook it on a low setting. The best way for tender meat is low heat & cook for a long time. I never cook my roast under 10 hours in my crock pot). If you want to thicken the sauce to pour over meat/rice then remove liquid from crock pot + add 2-3 heaping tbs. cornstarch and cook liquid on stove until thickened and not lumpy. (NOTE: For my crock pot I do not add any additional water and I have never had a problem. My old round crock pot, I would have to add 1 cup of water so it didn't burn. If you aren't sure, just add the 1 cup of water & just add additional cornstarch if you are making the sauce and you have a lot of liquid. Keep in mind you don't have to cover the meat entirely in liquid! You are NOT BOILING the meat! )

If you are grilling or pan frying the thinly sliced beef, marinade meat for at least a couple of hours or overnight. Then remove from marinade (throw away the marinade) & cook meat in skillet, wok or on your grill. Serve over cooked rice, rice noodles or wrapped in lettuce leaves. 








Enjoy
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually




No comments:

Post a Comment