My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Darth Vader's Dark Side Brownies (Gluten Free)


It came to my attention this morning that since I stuck my brownie recipe with the Sassy Salsa Chicken & Rice recipe that the recipe wouldn't get archived as a brownie recipe....so I am adding it again today with some more photos. This way in case someone wants to look up the brownie recipe they won't have to go looking through my blog pages for it! It also gave me time to get out some of my geek dishes and give the brownie name a proper presentation! (Just in case you also are a geek or know of a geek that would love brownies as a gift in the Star Wars tin....I found the tins at both Walmart & Target in the back to school section - I think they are meant to be used as school boxes to organize supplies but as soon as I saw them.....I was already thinking about putting brownies in them!  Hobby Lobby also has small tin Star Wars lunch boxes in their craft section that work well too! If you think I enjoy my geeky tin boxes then just wait until I start dragging out my Star Wars Pancake molds, cookie cutters & spatulas! GEEK ALERT! 





Darth Vader's Dark Side Brownies (gluten free):
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe brand)
  • 3/4 cup of gluten free flour blend (see below): if you don't have a gluten allergy, then by all means use regular flour! It is less expensive and easier to find. 
  • 6 tbs. real butter (I used unsalted)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract or baking emulsion
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. chipotle chile pepper powder, optional (I like to add this sometimes when we do Mexican food night because I LOVE the slight tingle on the tongue from the smokey spicy flavor mixed with the rich sweet chocolate. You can find it in the spice isle of most grocery stores. But if you prefer not to use it, just leave it out. These brownies are awesome without the chipotle too!
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt the chocolate chips & butter together in a glass bowl in the microwave (or use double boiler) until melted. I stirred after 30 second intervals in the microwave. Cool for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. Stir in the sugars and vanilla & chipotle (if you are using it). Gradually stir in eggs, one at a time. Add flour and salt. Stir about 40 times by hand. (If you are feeling like extra chocolate, add additional 1/2 cup chocolate chips for chunky chocolate brownies). I lined a 9x9 pan with parchment paper (next time I would use 8x8 pan for slightly thicker brownies) and poured batter on top. Bake approximately 20-25 minutes. When toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs, time to remove them. Cool for about 20 minutes before cutting them.


Gluten free flour blend:
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/8 cup rice flour
  • 1/8 cup tapioca starch or corn starch
  • 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

Williams & Sonoma makes a great gluten free flour blend that I love (cup 4 cup) but it is a little pricey if you do a lot of baking. There are many other brands on the market as well but I found that I personally don't care for those with sorghum and soy flours in them for baking sweets. (It leaves a funny after taste like pea pods or something in my mouth and I just can't get past that!) I think sweets should be....decadent not just taste sugary & they SHOULD NOT have a nasty aftertaste! 

Now....I must go and share my brownies with friends and neighbors so that we don't eat the entire batch! They just go down way too easy with a nice strong cup of coffee! I must share the calories! I must fatten up the neighbors so I won't look so bad in my swimsuit! Bahahahaha!

Here is also a picture of the same brownie recipe (but a different batch) that I did not add the Chipotle chile powder and instead sprinkled mini M&M candies on top prior to baking. These are fun & festive for parties or as a gift. 






Enjoy your weekend!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

No comments:

Post a Comment