My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Friday, August 31, 2012

Cilantro-Ginger Baked Fish

Cilantro-Ginger Baked Fish. My husband loves fish. Me...well...it depends on how it is cooked. (I used to really like it battered and fried but not only is it unhealthy that way, it is messy to make that way. I hate cleaning up greasy dishes. Yuck. I have to be creative cooking fish so that I can find flavors I can enjoy (because most of the time I would rather be eating beef!) This is one of the few recipes that I really like for fish. You can use any white fish for the recipe (or if you don't like fish you can substitute chicken). This fish also tastes great on tostadas or tacos which is the way I prefer it most of the time.

Cilantro-Ginger Baked Fish Recipe:
  • 1 pound of fish fillets, boneless (I used Blue Hake Fish but you can use Tilapia, Orange Roughy or whatever fish you prefer)
  • 3 tsp. of minced garlic
  • 1 tbs. grated or minced ginger 
  • 2 tbs. lime juice
  • chile pepper flakes - optional (If you don't like spicy then leave them out)
  • sea salt & pepper (you can use regular salt or a salt substitute if you prefer)
  • 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves (not stems!)
  • 1/4 cup white wine OR chicken broth
  • 2 tbs. soy sauce (I use Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce)
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • green onions, chopped for garnish - optional
  • additional cilantro leaves for garnish - optional
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Pat the fish dry. Season fish with salt & pepper & place in a 9x9 or 8x8 baking dish. Mix the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, wine (or chicken broth) & sesame oil together until well blended. I like to mash my ginger, garlic, pepper flakes & cilantro with a mortar & pestle to crush it all together to blend flavors before adding to the liquids but you don't need to.

Pour the cilantro ginger mixture over the fish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily and is cooked through. ( I cook it for 10 minutes with a lid/foil and the remaining time uncovered). I usually serve it over cooked rice but these are also really tasty if you flake them with a fork and serve in tacos or tostadas - most brands of the corn version are gluten free but be sure to read your labels if you have a gluten allergy. (I know....I NEVER would have eaten fish tacos when I lived in Ohio but moving out west...fish tacos are served everywhere. I never realized that seafood + tacos = yummy!)

If you don't care for fish or if you only have chicken on hand...this is good with chicken also but you may need to cook longer unless your chicken is cut into strips.

Cilantro-Ginger Fish with Rice



Fish Tostada



Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

No comments:

Post a Comment