|Chicken Noodle Casserole|
Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe:
- 2 cups of gluten free noodles, cooked & drained (I got mine in the bulk food section at WinCo Foods but I have seen them packaged at grocery stores with the same ingredients. I posted a photo below of the ingredients so you can find the same or similar ones. I personally think the ones made with corn are too tough & the ones made with white rice are just too mushy for this recipe). I also like using the Ronzoni brand gluten free noodles or Barilla gluten free noodles. If you do not have a gluten allergy you can use regular elbow noodles!
- 2 tbs. minced garlic (you can use fresh garlic or garlic in a jar for convenience)
- 1 cup chicken broth + 1 tbs. chicken bouillon powder (make sure its gluten free!) I like to add the bouillon for extra flavor but you can leave it out if you don't have any on hand.
- 1 cup heavy cream or half & half (I used fat free half & half)
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
- 4 tbs. rice flour or corn starch or tapioca starch (for thickener)
- 1/8 cup fresh basil, chopped or 2 tbs. dried
- dash of sea salt + dash of pepper (if you decide to make it vegetarian and use all mushroom instead of chicken...try a smoked sea salt for added flavor. Yum!)
- 2 tsp. Italian seasonings
- 1/2 tsp. Thyme or Rosemary or Poultry Seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion, optional
- 2 cups of cooked chopped chicken (you can use Rotisserie chicken or canned chicken for convenience - or left over turkey after the holidays!)
|Gluten free Elbow Noodles I found in the bulk section of WinCo Foods|
Cook & drain the noodles. In a saucepan, cook the chicken broth, cream, chicken bouillon (optional), spices, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, rice flour (or corn starch or tapioca starch) until smooth and it starts to get slightly thick. Remove from heat. Gently combine the cooked noodles, cooked chicken and 1 cup of the cheese (save the other 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top) together gently. Spoon into a a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup shredded cheese. Bake 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and everything is warmed throughout. Or microwave until cheese is melted and casserole is warm throughout. (Since everything is pre-cooked, you really don't have to cook it long).
I hope you enjoy the easy to make and very comforting chicken noodle casserole!
Gluten Free Casually