Sticky Chicken Recipe:
- 1 whole chicken, cut into parts (or use your favorite pieces and it doesn't matter if it is boneless and/or skinless - use whichever you like) Little whole Cornish Hens work well for this recipe also which is nice for a fancier dinner. For convenience, I use boneless/skinless breasts most of the time.
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix (I used Essential Everyday which is Albertson's store brand that is labeled gluten free on the back of the box)
- 1 (12 oz.) jar of Apricot preserves (I have also substituted peach or pineapple preserves in the past because I had them in my pantry and refused to run to the store just for apricot preserves! Both tasted good)
- 1 (8 oz) jar or 1 cup of homeade Catalina salad dressing (Kraft and Ken's Catalina dressings are both gluten free or you can use my gluten free homemade recipe below). The original recipe called for Russian dressing but I can't always find it at our store so I started using Catalina for the past few years.
|This is Albertson's store brand (gluten free)|
Mix the dry onion soup mix, preserves and salad dressing & pour in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Arrange chicken pieces over the glaze. Cover with foil or lid and put in 350 degree oven. Bake covered for about 50-60 minutes. Remove lid and bake additional 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.(If you are using thinly cut boneless/skinless chicken then it won't take as long to cook) Remove from oven and let stand 15-20 minutes before serving so sauce can thicken. I generally serve it over rice and spoon the sauce over top of the chicken & rice. Oriental vegetable blend usually is a nice side dish for this recipe.
You can also make all wings or chicken legs or breast tender strips for parties and serve on a large platter of rice or in short clear disposable cups with rice on the bottom of the cup and the chicken leg sticking out. I have also skewered a chicken breast tender strip with a wooden skewer and put in a disposable clear cup with rice & garnish for an appetizer. Garnish with chives or poppy seeds for added color. People are usually very surprised to find out how simple this recipe is to prepare. My kids always enjoy this recipe when I make it. Matter of fact, my daughter is stopping by tomorrow to pick up some left overs!
Homemade Catalina Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup honey or corn syrup
- 1/3 cup ketchup (I use Heinz)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup water
Whisk all together well.
Below are pictures of sticky chicken over white rice. Garnished with chives. Very moist and juicy.
|Chicken leg with rice in a party cup - great for tailgating!|
Gluten Free Casually