My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Chicken Noodle Casserole

Chicken Noodle Casserole
 There is something comforting about pasta. It is one of the things I missed most when I went gluten free. You don't realize the foods you take for granted until they are eliminated from your diet. I have tried several of the gluten free noodles out there but I didn't care for the textures in my casseroles or mac & cheese recipes. They seemed to be either too mushy or too tough. Then I found one that was made with potato starch and the texture is perfect. It tastes just like "regular" noodles. Of course if you don't have a gluten allergy, you can make this recipe with regular elbow noodles. The first time I made this recipe I added too much Thyme and we thought it was a little over powering in flavor. This is a great recipe for a weeknight, casual dinner. It goes together pretty quick and it just melts in your mouth. You can also tweak the recipe to add (or substitute) other things like turkey, hamburger, pork, mushrooms, sausage, tuna, etc. I was told by several of my gluten free friends that this recipe is one of their favorites because it tastes like something from their childhood...comfort food! It is rich and creamy and just melts in your mouth. (I have also made it with just assorted mushrooms instead of chicken for those friends that are vegetarians and it worked out great also!) You can also tweak the recipe with whatever seasonings/spices you like best. You can make it spicy by adding Mexican spices or Cajan spices if you prefer.  In a pinch, you can substitute rice instead of the noodles. I have done this and it is also delicious but there is something about pasta....yummy! The other nice thing about this recipe is that you can make it a day or two in advance and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it or microwave it. It is also a great way to use up leftover meat and give it a makeover meal instead of having leftovers again!

Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe:

  • 2 cups of gluten free noodles, cooked & drained (I got mine in the bulk food section at WinCo Foods but I have seen them packaged at grocery stores with the same ingredients. I posted a photo below of the ingredients so you can find the same or similar ones. I personally think the ones made with corn are too tough & the ones made with white rice are just too mushy for this recipe). I also like using the Ronzoni brand gluten free noodles or Barilla gluten free noodles. If you do not have a gluten allergy you can use regular elbow noodles! 
  • 2 tbs. minced garlic (you can use fresh garlic or garlic in a jar for convenience)
  • 1 cup chicken broth + 1 tbs. chicken bouillon powder (make sure its gluten free!) I like to add the bouillon for extra flavor but you can leave it out if you don't have any on hand. 
  • 1 cup heavy cream or half & half (I used fat free half & half)
  • 2 cups of shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
  • 4 tbs. rice flour or corn starch or tapioca starch (for thickener)
  • 1/8 cup fresh basil, chopped or 2 tbs. dried
  • dash of sea salt + dash of pepper (if you decide to make it vegetarian and use all mushroom instead of chicken...try a smoked sea salt for added flavor. Yum!)
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasonings
  • 1/2 tsp. Thyme or Rosemary or Poultry Seasoning (optional) 
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion, optional
  • 2 cups of cooked chopped chicken (you can use Rotisserie chicken or canned chicken for convenience - or left over turkey after the holidays!) 
Gluten free Elbow Noodles I found in the bulk section of WinCo Foods

Directions:
Cook & drain the noodles. In a saucepan, cook the chicken broth, cream, chicken bouillon (optional), spices, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, rice flour (or corn starch or tapioca starch) until smooth and it starts to get slightly thick. Remove from heat. Gently combine the cooked noodles, cooked chicken and 1 cup of the cheese (save the other 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top) together gently. Spoon into a a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup shredded cheese. Bake 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and everything is warmed throughout. Or microwave until cheese is melted and casserole is warm throughout. (Since everything is pre-cooked, you really don't have to cook it long). 








I hope you enjoy the easy to make and very comforting chicken noodle casserole!  

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually









1 comment:

  1. Barilla Pasta & Ronzoni Pasta now both make Gluten Free Noodles and are available at most grocery stores. Ask your grocer if you can't find them. Some of them are stocking with the regular noodles and some are stocking in the GF section.

    ReplyDelete