My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sweet Potato Souffle (Gluten Free)

Sweet Potato Souffle. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! The first time I tasted this little bite of heaven, I was pregnant with my first child (25 years ago) and was at a Dinner Theater in Southwest Ohio. I had never been a fan of sweet potatoes before this recipe. This is a fantastic side dish paired with just about anything. It wouldn't be a holiday at our house unless this side dish is served but it also is a great way to dress up the traditional steak dinner on a casual weeknight. I would rather have this with a cup of coffee for dessert than many of the other dessert options. Yes, it is that good! :) The bottom is fluffy with sweet crunchy topping. It just melts in your mouth. It is also makes a great dish take to a party because you won't feel cheated if there is not a gluten free dessert available. This will satisfy your sweet tooth! (by the way...leftovers are fabulous the next day with a cup of coffee!)

It was a very easy recipe to tweak just a little bit to make it gluten free. I love these old recipes and would be very disappointed if I couldn't have them at the holidays. (The original recipe called for more butter but I never add it and it tastes just fine without it!)  My sister-in-law makes a similar recipe but she adds shredded coconut on top which I also really like. If you are a coconut lover like me...go ahead and add the coconut to the topping!

Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe:

  • 1 (29 oz) can sweet potatoes, drained
  • 1/2 cup sugar (can substitute raw sugar or sugar substitute)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk (or if you can substitute the juice from sweet potatoes)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract


Topping:

  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (or substitute raw sugar or sugar substitute)
  • 1/2 cup rice flour or finely ground oats
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Mash the sweet potatoes. Gradually add the sugar, eggs, extract and milk. Mix until fairly smooth. Pour into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Combine the melted butter with sugar, rice flour (or ground oats) and nuts. Sprinkle on top like a crumb topping. Bake uncovered in a pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes or until center is slightly set and top is golden brown and slightly crispy.






Enjoy this easy and scrumptious recipe this holiday season or whenever you feel like dressing up a casual dinner or brunch!

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

No comments:

Post a Comment