You can substitute your favorite flavor of pudding! I have had a craving for this delicious yet simple dessert lately so I substituted my gluten free flour to make it. Heavenly! The buttery, nutty crust pairs deliciously with the cream cheese filling and the pudding topping. It is a great balance. (If you don't have pudding on hand or don't like pudding... I have used cherry pie filling or lemon pie filling or just mixed the cream cheese and cool whip together and spooned on top of the crust instead for a different style of dessert which is more like a no-bake cheesecake). The crust recipe also can be substituted for graham cracker crust in cheesecake recipes or other cookie bar recipes. The crust is my favorite part...reminds me of shortbread cookies. I think I could make a batch of the "crust" and just eat it with a cup of coffee. Yummy! :)
Rosemary's Dessert Squares (Robert Redford Dessert) Recipe:
- 1 cup flour (I used my gluten free flour blend, recipe below) If you don't have a gluten allergy then you can just use regular flour.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted real butter (you really should use real butter in this recipe for the best flavor!)
- 1 cup finely crushed almonds, pecans or walnuts. (I used almonds in my batch today because that is what I had on hand. I believe Rosemary usually uses walnuts).
- 8 oz. pkg of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 container (8oz.) whipped topping, like Cool Whip
- 2 pkgs (3.5 oz. each) instant chocolate pudding mix (or you can substitute pie filling or just omit this layer)
- 3 cups cold milk - this is for the pudding mix so if you aren't using the pudding layer then you can omit this
|Coarse crumb like texture of crust dough|
|Dough is pressed in pan. Ready to put in oven to bake.|
Keep refrigerated. Recipe can easily be cut in half & baked in 8x8 square pan or pie pan if desired.
Gluten Free Flour Blend Recipe:
Combine all ingredients together well. I store mine in a glass container and use it in place of regular flour in most of my recipes. *Glutinous rice flour does not contain gluten, it is made from sticky rice.
|Ready to cut into squares (Chocolate pudding flavor)|
|Key Lime Pie Filling (instead of chocolate pudding)|
|Sliced and ready to eat!|
|Close up view! See all the yummy layers? :)|
I hope you have fond memories of family friends and loved ones and desserts that remind you of them. This is one of those desserts for me.
Gluten Free Casually