My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nutella Chex Bars

Nutella Chex Bars. I came up with this recipe when I had originally planned on making Chex Scotcharoos but realized I didn't have peanut butter....so I improvised with my hubby's Nutella instead! They turned out quite delicious. I personally think that anything that has Nutella in it is SCRUMPTIOUS! These bars are no-bake so you can make them on the stove top or microwave and not heat up your oven in the summer heat which is a bonus when you live in Arizona!

I use either General Mills Corn Chex Cereal or Rice Chex Cereal because they are gluten free. You can substitute gluten free Kellogg's Rice Krispies, Post Cocoa Pebbles (they are also gluten free). You can also use corn flakes if you can find them gluten free. Any of these will work just fine in this recipe. (Watch out for some of the generic versions of these cereals because most of them are NOT gluten free! Read the labels carefully!)

Nutella Chex Bars Recipe:
  • 6 cups of Corn Chex or Rice Chex
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup sugar 
  • 1 cup Nutella
  • 2 cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
  • additional 1/2 cup Nutella (for topping)
Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, stir together the corn syrup & sugar until melted. Bring to a full boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup Nutella until well combined and smooth. Pour over cereal and mix gently with a spoon until most of the cereal pieces are coated. Spoon into the greased 9x13 pan. Press down with the back of a spatula to compress them slightly. (I find that this is much easier if you spray a little cooking spray on the spatula first. It keeps the cereal from sticking to it!) Set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the 2 cups of chocolate chips with the 1/2 cup Nutella and cook in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Pour over the cereal bars. Let stand until chocolate is set. (If I want to hurry this process along...I put them in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to set up faster! I don't like waiting to eat these!)

Oh...and if you want to kick it up another notch...just add some chunks of a chocolate hazelnut candy bar into the Chex cereal mix. Delicious! I love the hazelnut/chocolate combination. Mmmmm! :)

These are a great casual picnic pleaser + they are easy to make. Very similar to making Rice Krispie treats. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!






Enjoy these super easy no-bake treats!

Tanja
Gluten Free Casually



No comments:

Post a Comment