My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Baked Cauliflower

Baked Cauliflower. I love fried cauliflower but since I can't eat regular flour...eating appetizers or side dishes like this at a restaurant is out of the question. The idea came to me when I looked in my refrigerator and noticed I had two gorgeous heads of cauliflower but I was SICK of it cooked the traditional ways. I wanted something simple but tasty.

Since I was already home from work and into my comfy clothes...there was no way I had any motivation to go shopping for supplies! So I searched my cupboards for something I could use as a coating that would withstand baking but not have too thick of a batter to take away from the cauliflower flavor. I spotted a bag of tortilla chips and some spices and that became my "breading" for the cauliflower! It was crispy and had a nice flavor. My husband never asks for a second helping of cauliflower....until now! :)

Baked Cauliflower Recipe:

  • 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into appetizer sized pieces
  • 2 large handfuls of tortilla chips, crushed really fine (I put mine in the blender but you can just use a rolling pin to finely crush them). Most brands of tortilla chips are gluten free but check your ingredients to be sure! I used "On the Border" brand which are labeled GLUTEN FREE. If you have an allergy to corn then you can just substitute regular potato chips! No problem! 
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder (optional) - we like the slightly spicy flavor but you can leave it out or substitute regular chile powder or cayenne. You can add more if you like it really spicy!
  • 2 tbs. parmesan cheese, grated (I wouldn't run out to the store to get this ingredient if you don't have it on hand. You can just substitute some garlic powder or steak seasoning for a little flavor instead)
  • 1 egg or egg substitute for dipping

Combine the finely crushed tortilla chips, spices and cheese (if you are adding it) together in a bowl. Whisk the egg with a 1/8 cup of water or milk in a separate bowl until well mixed. Dip the cauliflower into the egg mixture and then into the crushed chip mixture. Place on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes until fork inserted into the cauliflower is tender and the coating is golden brown. If the coating is not getting golden then you can remove them from the oven and spray a light coating of cooking spray on them and then return them to the oven.

Ready to eat!


Just out of the oven on the baking sheet!
Tender center with a crispy coating! Ready to eat!
I hope you enjoyed this extremely simple recipe. I am going to try the same coating with some zucchini and mushrooms this weekend for a nice casual "appetizer". I love recipes like this that everyone can enjoy and it doesn't cost a fortune for "special ingredients".

Enjoy your holiday weekend!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually


No comments:

Post a Comment