Since I was already home from work and into my comfy clothes...there was no way I had any motivation to go shopping for supplies! So I searched my cupboards for something I could use as a coating that would withstand baking but not have too thick of a batter to take away from the cauliflower flavor. I spotted a bag of tortilla chips and some spices and that became my "breading" for the cauliflower! It was crispy and had a nice flavor. My husband never asks for a second helping of cauliflower....until now! :)
Baked Cauliflower Recipe:
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into appetizer sized pieces
- 2 large handfuls of tortilla chips, crushed really fine (I put mine in the blender but you can just use a rolling pin to finely crush them). Most brands of tortilla chips are gluten free but check your ingredients to be sure! I used "On the Border" brand which are labeled GLUTEN FREE. If you have an allergy to corn then you can just substitute regular potato chips! No problem!
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder (optional) - we like the slightly spicy flavor but you can leave it out or substitute regular chile powder or cayenne. You can add more if you like it really spicy!
- 2 tbs. parmesan cheese, grated (I wouldn't run out to the store to get this ingredient if you don't have it on hand. You can just substitute some garlic powder or steak seasoning for a little flavor instead)
- 1 egg or egg substitute for dipping
Combine the finely crushed tortilla chips, spices and cheese (if you are adding it) together in a bowl. Whisk the egg with a 1/8 cup of water or milk in a separate bowl until well mixed. Dip the cauliflower into the egg mixture and then into the crushed chip mixture. Place on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes until fork inserted into the cauliflower is tender and the coating is golden brown. If the coating is not getting golden then you can remove them from the oven and spray a light coating of cooking spray on them and then return them to the oven.
|Ready to eat!|
|Just out of the oven on the baking sheet!|
|Tender center with a crispy coating! Ready to eat!|
Enjoy your holiday weekend!
Gluten Free Casually