My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Baja Shrimp & Scallops

Baja Shrimp & Scallops! This is a super easy recipe and it comes together quickly so you can get dinner to the table fast! During the work week I like to keep my dinners simple & quick because I work a long day on my feet and I am starving by the time I get home! I like to have dinner cooked in 20 minutes or so. I save the time consuming meals for special occasions or weekends.

This recipe is very flexible and you can change it up by substituting a mild fish like blue hake, talapia or orange roughy. I also like to use Loganstino Lobster tails which are like little mini lobsters that I can usually get at Trader Joe's in the freezer section. You can also substitute chicken chunks instead. For convenience, I used McCormick's Baja Citrus packet because they don't add gluten to it and it is inexpensive and has all the flavors I want. However, you can prepare your own seasoning easily (recipe below) or substitute a different flavor of prepared seasoning (just read the label if you have a gluten allergy to make sure it doesn't contain gluten! Many of the seasoning packets contain gluten!). By the way, I don't follow the instructions for the marinade on the back of the package for this recipe - I just use it dry although the marinade is good for chicken! I used to make my seasoning from scratch (recipe below) until I found this inexpensive pre-packaged mix. Now I get lazy most of the time and just use the mix for convenience!

Baja Shrimp & Scallops Recipe:

  • 1 packet of McCormick Baja Citrus Seasoning packet (or make your own seasoning with recipe below)
  • 12 oz. shrimp (I used the small-medium sized so they cook quickly)
  • 6 oz. scallops (I used the small ones so they cook quickly and are more tender)
  • 1 lime (fresh limes of course taste best but you can use the lime juice concentrate)
  • 2 green onions, sliced optional
  • fresh cilantro leaves, optional
  • 2 tbs. real butter or olive oil
  • 3 tbs. minced garlic (if you are using the homemade version of the Baja Citrus seasoning then cut back the garlic here to 2 tbs.)

Rinse the shrimp and scallops in a colander under cool water. I squeeze a little bit of lime juice over the top while they are draining and the skillet is getting hot. Add the garlic, shrimp, scallops (or whatever meat you are using) to the skillet. I sprinkle about 2 tbs. of the seasoning packet onto the shrimp and scallops as they are cooking. If I am using a fresh lime then I grate some fresh lime rind into the skillet also for extra lime flavor which we love. You can also add a sprinkling of hot pepper flakes or pinch of ground chipotle chili pepper if you want a little kick to this dish. Cook until the shrimp are pink but still firm. Meanwhile, I prepare some instant rice and add about 1-2 tsp. of the Baja Citrus Seasoning packet to the water as it is boiling. This gives the rice a touch of flavor and color. You will probably have some of the seasoning packet left - taste your food to see if you would like it to have a bolder flavor. If so, add more seasoning. If not, seal it up and save it for seasoning something else at a later date. (I like to use left over seasoning packets to season plain rice. It is cheap, easy and changes up the flavor of rice!) Just before serving the shrimp over the rice, I add an additional squeeze of lime juice over the top and garnish with sliced green onions and fresh cilantro.


If you want to make my homemade version of Baja Citrus Seasoning:

  • 2 tbs. dried cilantro
  • 1 tbs. minced garlic (fresh or dried)
  • 2 tsp. dried onion flakes or fresh onion minced
  • 1 tsp. lemon or orange rind (optional)
  • 2 tsp. lime rind
  • pinch of pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt







Below are some photos of the Baja Citrus Shrimp & Scallops.






I hope you enjoyed this super quick & easy dish!

Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

No comments:

Post a Comment