My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

"Kinder Chocolate" (Vanilla Cream Chocolates)

Kinder Chocolate. This is my absolute favorite German candy! It's one of the little luxuries (next to Nutella) that I would look forward to in our goody boxes from our German relatives. I fell in love with this candy when I was 5 years old and visited my cousins in Germany for the first time. I love the creamy (yet slightly firm) texture of the the vanilla cream center encased in mouth watering milk chocolate. I could sit and eat an entire little box. Okay, I have done that AT LEAST once....truth be told....more times than I care to admit!  :)

I  have been known to fill an entire carryon suitcase FULL of these! NO JOKE! I am sure security/customs were wondering if I was up to something shady or if I was completely insane. For the record...let's just pretend that I am not crazy. I would also like to mention that my kids and husband also love these candies so the entire carryon full of kinder chocolate wasn't just for me!  If you are lucky you can find Kinder Chocolates at specialty stores in the import section but you pay dearly for them! I only treat people to those on special occasions and still flinch at the imported price!

I was given a challenge by my husband to "copy cat" the recipe for the Kinder Chocolates. Wow! I wasn't sure if I could do it. I tried a couple test batches and...not even remotely close. Finally, after several attempts....SUCCESS! They are pretty darn close to the real thing. Keep in mind that these are very rich & very sweet. I would categorize them in the same family as fudge or truffles. If you cut them into tiny bite size pieces then it makes a good amount. I like to put them in individual little mini-muffin liners (you can find the tiny ones frequently at the dollars stores! I got these cute little pumpkin ones at the dollar tree $1/pack of 100). They look festive and dress up a dessert table or cookie plate! I like to bundle a few of them up and put in a clear cellophane bag and give to friends.

Did I mention how EASY these are to make? They certainly look and taste like a lot of time and energy went into making them but I did it all in the microwave...3 ingredients and DONE! Yep, it's that easy! If you don't have a microwave, you can just cook in a double boiler. Just make sure water/steam doesn't get into your chocolate as it is melting or it will harden and get funky!

Kinder Chocolates (Vanilla Cream Chocolates):

  • 3 1/2 cups of white chocolate chips (I used Guittard brand for today)
  • 1 (12 oz.) pkg of milk chocolate chips (I used Guittard brand today)
  • 1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk (this is NOT the same as evaporated milk!)

I melted 6 oz. of the milk chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals (stirring every 30 seconds) until melted. My microwave is acting hinky so it took about 3 minutes. Don't burn it...you just need it melted and smooth. I foil lined an 8x8 pan (didn't grease it). I spread the 6oz. of melted chocolate chips in the bottom of the foil lined pan as best I could. I tried to spread it pretty even. I put it in the refrigerator to cool a few minutes so it didn't have a runny texture. Next I got a fresh bowl and mixed the sweetened condensed milk with the white chocolate chips. I microwaved in 30 second intervals until smooth and melted. Don't overcook or it will burn. Spread over slightly set milk chocolate. Put in refrigerator to help it set faster if desired. I took the remaining 6 oz. milk chocolate and melted it in 30 second intervals in the microwave until smooth & then poured it as evenly as possible onto the vanilla cream filling. (The filling will have a fondant like texture at first). Cool completely until they are set and easy to cut into bite sized squares.

NOTE: I found it easiest to remove the cooled candy from the 8x8 pan and flip it upside down onto a cutting board. Cut into bite sized squares with a large sharp knife or pizza cutter.










These make gorgeous (and delicious!) little additions to any cookie platter or dessert table for parties, weddings, showers or for little favors. These are also a great little treat for tailgating or casual dessert. They are quick enough to make that you can get your fast chocolate fix!  These would also be great to take camping on a cool weekend. You can use these in place of plain ordinary chocolate in your smores OR use a couple of them in your hot chocolate or coffee in place of creamer! Oh yeah!!!! I am feeling a camping trip coming my way!  ;)

Enjoy these wonderful little treats that are based on a German candy. Our family really likes them!

Tanja
Gluten Free Casually


1 comment:

  1. You can also roll the white center into bite sized truffle balls and then dip in the melted chocolates if you want a fancier presentation. I just love these!

    ReplyDelete