My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Truffles

Truffles! How to do you say yummy?! These are so ridiculously easy that you won't believe it until you try them. They remind me of the Lindt Truffles. Creamy smooth center with a burst of rich flavor. Don't let the ingredients fool you. My son (David) and I made these together and were impressed with the results.  We found this old recipe in a children's church packet from when he was a kid. They made similar ones but didn't dip them into chocolate. They pressed a Hershey Kiss in the center instead. That way the kids didn't get burned dipping chocolate (and I assume it was less messy!) We decided to dip them for a more truffle like flavor. When my mom got here for Christmas vacation....we made a couple more batches. She couldn't believe how easy and yummy they were!

We made them during the Christmas holiday season but you can make these for Valentine's day, wedding favors, baby shower, birthday party, mother's day, father's day or just simply for no reason at all. They are fun to make and the flavor combinations are endless! There is no flour in this recipe so they are naturally gluten free anyway. (Just double check your chocolate chips to make sure they didn't add gluten or process on equipment using wheat flour! Most brands don't contain gluten but double check. I like to use the Guittard brand because they are labeled as gluten free on the package!)

Truffle Recipe:
1 (12 oz) bag of chocolate chips (any flavor you want to use)
1 can (16 oz.) of frosting (like Betty Crocker or Pillsbury - any flavor)
12 oz. candy coating (also called almond bark) - you can use any flavor. Some brands like Wilton candy coating you can get in colors and flavors. Other brands are only available in white and dark chocolate. You can generally purchase them at your grocery store in the chocolate chip section or at craft stores like JoAnn Fabrics, Michael's Crafts, Hobby Lobby, etc.

(You can also add flavored extracts or juice to your filling to customize flavors. For example: in my key lime, lemon and orange flavored truffles, we added some zest and about 1-2 tbs. juice from fresh limes, oranges and lemons although you really don't need to do that if you don't have it on hand. It just gives the filling a punch of extra tartness which we like). You can keep this recipe extremely simple by just using the 3 ingredients above. It will turn out great. I like to play around with recipes a little bit so we usually come up with some interesting flavors. People that know me....well they know I like Chipotle flavor so yes....I admit that I added a touch of Chipotle chile powder to my dark chocolate truffles. Just a pinch of heat. Absolutely devine! Like I said....You can be creative!

DIRECTIONS:
In a microwave safe bowl, melt your chocolate chips (whatever flavor you are using is fine). I melt in 30 second intervals so I don't burn the chocolate. You can also use a double boiler if you prefer. Once the chocolate chips are completely melted and smooth, stir in the entire can of frosting and stir well. At this point, you can add any additional flavors if you want. (Peppermint extract, chipotle chile powder, almond extract, butter extract, citrus zest, citrus juice, etc.). I would start off with just 1-2 teaspoons of extract flavor if you are using it. It can be powerful in flavor! Stir well. This will be the "filling" of your truffle. I put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to let it harden a little bit. It will make it easier to work with. Roll in 1" balls. Refrigerate until slightly firm and chilled. This will keep them from becoming too soft when you dip them in melted chocolate. (If you prefer to keep it simple....you can just push a Hershey kiss in the center and call it done. You don't have to dip them. I prefer them dipped although it is a little more work!) Melt your candy coating (almond bark) in the microwave or double boiler until smooth. If you are having a hard time getting it smooth, add a teaspoon or two of Crisco shortening. It will help thin it out. You don't want the coating to be too thick on the truffles. You want a nice thin coat. I dip them with a fork. I lay the ball gently on the fork, dip the entire ball and let the excess chocolate drip off the fork. Place on waxed paper to cool completely so the chocolate will set. Sometimes I will add a sprinkle of colored sugar, sprinkles, chopped nuts, chopped candy, edible glitter, zest, or a contrasting color of candy coating to accent the truffles. 

Filling balls ready to be dipped

Dipping the filling balls into candy coating

Cooling on waxed paper

Cooling on waxed paper

Packaged for a party favor

Packaged as a holiday gift for extended family. I added a beautiful bow & card later

Up close view of my key lime flavored truffle. See the zest mixed into filling? Yummy!

Truffles ready for us to sample! These are the key lime & lemon flavors

Up close view of the key lime and lemon truffles
 
Some of the most popular truffle combinations I have tried:
  • Pillsbury Key Lime Flavor Frosting + White chocolate Chips (I added some lime zest & 2 tbs. fresh lime juice. I dipped them in lime green colored white chocolate candy coating. Sometimes Wilton candy coating will have key lime flavored which is also great but it is seasonal and they don't always have it available).
  • Pillsbury Orange Flavor Frosting + White chocolate chips. I added some orange zest & 2 tbs. fresh orange juice. I dipped them in white chocolate candy coating.
  • Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting + Dark Chocolate Chips (Some of them I left the filling plain and the other half of the batch I added 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile powder for a spicy kick). Dipped them in dark chocolate candy coating. They would also be delicious dipped in white.
  • Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting + Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I added 1 tsp. peppermint extract for a minty flavor). Dipped them in dark chocolate candy coating. They would also be good dipped in white chocolate candy coating.
  • Betty Crocker Lemon Frosting + White Chocolate chips (I added some lemon zest & 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice. I dipped them in white chocolate candy coating).
  • Betty Crocker cream cheese flavor frosting + white chocolate chips (I added 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice and dipped them in white chocolate candy coating).
  • Pillsbury Strawberry Frosting + White chocolate chips. Dipped half the batch in White chocolate candy coating and the other half in dark chocolate candy coating. 
  • Vanilla or Chocolate frosting + Peanut butter flavored chips. Dipped them in dark or milk chocolate candy coating. 
  • Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting + Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips (I added about 1/4 cup of either crushed Butterfinger Candy bar pieces OR Toffee Bits). Dipped them in dark or milk chocolate candy coating.
  • Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting + Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips (I added 1 tsp. Instant Espresso Coffee powder and dipped half the batch in dark chocolate candy coating and the other half in white chocolate candy coating.



I hope you enjoy this super easy and delicious recipe for truffles. We had fun making this recipe and it is now a family favorite. You can use any flavor of frosting or chocolate chips to create custom flavor truffles. They also have flavored frosting sprinkles (found in frosting aisle) that allow you to customize your frosting flavor.  (I have not tried using homemade frosting in this recipe yet). There are also a lot of extracts and baking emulsions that you can use to customize your flavors. It just depends on how creative you want to get. The possibilities are almost endless! There is also nothing wrong with keeping it simple. You can just use the basic ingredients and still have a fabulous truffle. Try it. This is a great recipe to make on a lazy weekend or on a snow day! (Okay, we don't get snow days here in the Phoenix area but my friends and family in the midwest....well they sure have got dumped with a lot of snow lately!)

Feel free to post any of your combinations that you try. I am interested in hearing about how you customize your truffles!

Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

2 comments:

  1. My husband's very favorite combination is the Dark Fudge frosting with the Dark Chocolate chips + 1.5-2 tsp. chipotle chile powder. The dark chocolate isn't too sweet and after you swallow you get a light hint of the spicy chipotle. These are always a holiday hit. The other family favorite is the Key Lime flavor. I make these every year for Christmas/New Years + Valentine's day and special occasions. I love them because they keep well, look elegant and always a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a more intense flavor then you can certainly add a packet of dry jello mix or LorAnn flavorings (oil type). These will allow you to customize or intensify your flavors.

    ReplyDelete