The other nice thing about this recipe is that you can change it up by substituting different flavors of cheese or switching out a few spices. You can use traditional hamburger but you can also substitute vegetarian crumbles, chicken, turkey, steak, ham, pork, sausage or tuna. It all works great. It is a great way to use up leftover meat!
All I had to do to this recipe to convert it to gluten free was switch out the noodles. I used the Ronzoni gluten free noodles in today's recipe. If you don't have a gluten allergy then you can use regular noodles (any shape). How easy is that?
Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe:
- 1-2 pounds of hamburger (you can substitute any meat you like or use vegetarian crumbles)
- 2 1/2 cups milk (you can substitute coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk or broth)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 cups uncooked noodles, any shape (I used gluten free Ronzoni noodles today)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (make sure it is gluten free if you have a gluten allergy!) or tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (I like to use Chipotle but you can use any chili powder). You can add less if you don't like it spicy or you can substitute a different spice in it's place.
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (not garlic salt) or you can use 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp. salt (I start off using 1 tsp. and add more if I feel it needs it)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional (I don't add these if my grand-daughter is eating it with us)
- 2 cups shredded cheese, any flavor (I used shredded cheddar cheese today). You can also substitute the creamy Velveeta sauce packets which are also gluten free. I prefer shredded cheese but both types will work in this recipe.
- * Note: You can add any type of spices or steak seasoning, etc that you have on hand. These are the basic seasonings I used today. I have used a pre-mixed hamburger seasoning, steak seasoning or Mrs. Dash seasonings in the past. It all works fine. Use whatever you like or whatever you have on hand. Keep in mind that if your pre-made seasoning contains salt, you may want to omit adding any additional salt.
|Simmering on low heat until noodles are cooked|
|Noodles are cooked, ready to add cheese|
|Adding cheese and stirring.|
|Cheese is now stirred in and it is ready to serve!|
|Up close view of Hamburger Helper|
|See how cheesy?|
|Add a side of vegetables and you have a quick yet delicious dinner!|
I hope you enjoy this super easy dinner recipe. You can even add vegetables to make it a one dish complete meal. Feel free to post any substitutions or pictures of your Hamburger Helper dish. We all learn from each other and I enjoy hearing from you.
Gluten Free Casually