My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Mexican Dinner Pie (Lasagna)

Mexican Dinner Pie (Lasagna): I got this recipe from the Maseca Corn Flour website and I tweaked it a little bit to make it work with items I had on hand. I like the simplicity of it and that it is gluten free. You can easily double the recipe or make it ahead and bake it later in the week or freeze it to use later. It is more like a pie or Mexican Layered Casserole than a lasagna. Not only is it a great dish for a casual weekend dinner but it is great for game day, holidays, brunch or a fun dinner on the patio with friends. I like to serve it with raw veggies cut up, salsa & chips for a casual, easy meal. If we are doing buffet style Mexican dinner with a large group, then I also make Pasole, rice, tamales and have a taco bar. It stretches the food a little farther and gives everyone a chance to taste it all.

For the dough layer:
  • 2 cups gluten free corn flour (I used Maseca brand)
  • 1 tbs. garlic powder (not garlic salt) or finely minced fresh garlic
  • 1 tbs. onion powder or minced dried onion
  • 2 tbs. beef or chicken bouillon (gluten free) if you aren't using broth
  • 1 1/4 cups water or broth
  • 2-3 tbs. salsa (you can use red salsa, chipotle salsa or green verde salsa)

Mix all the dough ingredients together well. You can use a mixer or mix it by hand. It will resemble pie crust or sugar cookie dough in texture.

Other ingredients you will need:
  • 1 1/2-2 cups pre-cooked meat (any type of meat you want to  use. I used shredded cooked pork loin today because that is what I had on hand. You can use rotisserie chicken, chopped chicken breasts, turkey, ground beef, ground turkey, shredded beef or if you are vegetarian you can use beans (re-fried or black beans). 
  • 2 cups cheese (I use whatever I have on hand). You can use thinly sliced or shredded cheese
  • 1 cup salsa (any type of salsa you like). I used green verde salsa today which I really like with shredded pork or chicken. I like the red salsa with beef or beans.
  • 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I used 2% fat cottage cheese but any of it will work)

Press half of the dough thinly in the bottom of 9x9 greased pan. Layer with cottage cheese. Then layer on the meat or beans. I used shredded pork loin today. Pour on the salsa then layer on 1 cup of the cheese. I hand press the other half of the dough onto a piece of waxed paper or thin cutting board close the shape of my pan. Flip the dough on top. It doesn't have to be perfect. I layer the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top. The other option is to crumble the rest of the dough on top rather than rolling it out. It will taste the same but takes less time. Bake 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until cheese is melted and the top layer of the dough appears slightly firm (like a baked pie crust).

If you find this to be too difficult to layer the crusts or if you need to stretch it for a larger group then you can just divide the dough in half and press each half into a greased pie pan (or one greased 9x13 pan) and make a Mexican dinner pie without a top crust. Divide the ingredients equally among both pies or layer it equally on the 9x13 pan. I like to sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top if I don't do a top crust. It just makes it look more finished and gives it a nice crunch. Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into slices.

Dough has a pie crust or biscuit like texture

Pressing half of dough into 9x9 greased pan

Ready to start adding other ingredients

I used about 2 pounds shredded pork (pre-cooked)

Layering items on top of dough crust

The green verde salsa

Ready for the top crust OR crushed tortilla chips

This one has a dough layer on top then I added shredded cheese on top

This version has just the bottom crust with crushed tortilla chips on top

Up close view of the layers

Ready to eat!

Yummy!
I hope you enjoy this very casual recipe. It goes well for brunch, lunch or dinner. Great addition to a game day get together or casual patio party. I like to eat it hot or cold. Left overs can just be re-heated in the microwave or toaster oven & they freeze well too.

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

No comments:

Post a Comment