If you want it to go together even faster with minimal mess, you can can purchase your butternut squash & apples already cubed (look in the refrigerator section in the produce section of your grocery store. I found them at Walmart and Trader Joe's). I like to use honeycrisp apples but any slightly tart apple will work well. You can also substitute (or add) acorn squash. I use any flavor of gluten free, low fat chicken or turkey sausage that I have on hand. Sometimes I will use a spicy chipotle or jalapeno flavor and other times I use an Italian or apple smoke flavored sausages. It really doesn't matter because they all taste great with this dish.
Butternut Squash, Apple & Sausage Jumble Recipe:
- 1 1/2-2 cups of fresh, cubed butternut or acorn squash (about 12-16oz)
- 1 sweet onion (I like Vidalia or a sweet yellow onion), thinly sliced
- 4-6 gluten free, low fat chicken or turkey sausages (any flavor), sliced
- 1-2 slightly tart apples, cubed (I used honey crisp) and I removed seeds/core but did not peel
- 1 pkg in tube (6-10 oz.) gluten free polenta, cubed, optional. You do not have to add this. We like it and I add it if I have it on hand. Make sure it is labeled gluten free. I found mine at Trader Joe's near the noodles on the shelf. (It is also sometimes called "corn meal mush" and located near the eggs).
This dish is great served as is. It is also great served with any of the following: rice, eggs, potatoes or gluten free pasta. If you are trying to stretch it out for a crowd or large family then I suggest serving it with rice or potatoes. A wild rice really compliments this dish well but it is also delicious with white or brown rice. Be creative!
|Just browning my pre-cooked sausages|
|Saute until lightly browned|
|The sausages are juicy and the everything else is juicy|
|My mouth is watering just looking at it!|
|Look at the fabulous colors and different flavors all blended together!|
|See how colorful & juicy?|
|Ready to eat!|
Gluten Free Casually