My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Monday, October 13, 2014

Butternut Squash, Apple & Sausage Jumble

Butternut Squash, Apple & Sausage Jumble is a super easy, absolutely delicious and very fast meal to throw together. We love it for breakfast or dinner. Nothing SCREAMS fall for me more than this simple dish. I love how the earthy flavor of the butternut squash blends well with the sweet-tart apple, the slightly spicy sausage and the tangy sweet onions. I will add chopped polenta if I have it on hand. This is one of those quick meals that you can throw together in about 10 minutes which is great for busy work nights and a quick breakfast on a lazy weekend! I get excited every time I see the displays for fall with all the squash and pumpkins & all the fun recipes that SCREAM fall time! The squash brings an earthy flavor to simple dishes.

If you want it to go together even faster with minimal mess, you can can purchase your butternut squash & apples already cubed (look in the refrigerator section in the produce section of your grocery store. I found them at Walmart and Trader Joe's). I like to use honeycrisp apples but any slightly tart apple will work well. You can also substitute (or add) acorn squash. I use any flavor of gluten free, low fat chicken or turkey sausage that I have on hand. Sometimes I will use a spicy chipotle or jalapeno flavor and other times I use an Italian or apple smoke flavored sausages. It really doesn't matter because they all taste great with this dish.

Butternut Squash, Apple & Sausage Jumble Recipe:
  • 1 1/2-2 cups of fresh, cubed butternut or acorn squash (about 12-16oz)
  • 1 sweet onion (I like Vidalia or a sweet yellow onion), thinly sliced
  • 4-6 gluten free, low fat chicken or turkey sausages (any flavor), sliced
  • 1-2 slightly tart apples, cubed (I used honey crisp) and I removed seeds/core but did not peel
  • 1 pkg in tube (6-10 oz.) gluten free polenta, cubed, optional. You do not have to add this. We like it and I add it if I have it on hand.  Make sure it is labeled gluten free. I found mine at Trader Joe's near the noodles on the shelf. (It is also sometimes called "corn meal mush" and located near the eggs).
I put a tiny drizzle of olive oil (any oil, lard or butter will work) in a skillet on medium heat and saute the sliced onions until they become soft and start to brown slightly. In the meantime, I put the squash and apple in the microwave for about 60-90 seconds. Just enough to soften them slightly so they cook a little faster and they aren't crunchy. I don't want them over-cooked so they turn mushy...just enough to soften them slightly. The chicken sausages I had were pre-cooked so I just sliced them and lightly browned them. (If your sausages are not pre-cooked then you will need to cook them with the onions so they have enough time to cook thoroughly). If you are using polenta, add it to the the skillet after the onions are starting to get soft (before you add apples and squash). You want the polenta cubes to start to brown slightly. If you aren't adding polenta then add your pre-cooked sausage cubes, squash cubes & apple cubes. Cook until everything is warm and slightly browned. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Serve warm.

This dish is great served as is. It is also great served with any of the following: rice, eggs, potatoes or gluten free pasta. If you are trying to stretch it out for a crowd or large family then I suggest serving it with rice or potatoes. A wild rice really compliments this dish well but it is also delicious with white or brown rice. Be creative!


Just browning my pre-cooked sausages
Saute until lightly browned

The sausages are juicy and the everything else is juicy 


My mouth is watering just looking at it!

Look at the fabulous colors and different flavors all blended together!

See how colorful & juicy?

Ready to eat!
I hope you enjoy this fall style dish as much as we do. You can add or delete items to customize it. When I see those beautiful butternut squash & tart apples on the fall display...I start craving this super easy dish!

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually



No comments:

Post a Comment