My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pineapple Fluff

 I like "salads" that can be used as a side dish or dessert. Seriously, I am not sure who classified this as "salad" but I think it is funny. I consider it more of a dessert that you can get by with on your plate next to a thick ham slice! Ha!Ha! I really like to add these type of "salads" to my holiday brunch menu. They are affordable, easy, delicious and can be made ahead. They are also pretty flexible. You can change out the flavor of the instant pudding mix or fruit and you have a whole new combination. This version is one of my family's favorites. We all love coconut so I add shredded coconut to the pudding but the original recipe did not call for coconut...you can leave it out! I have a lot of friends that don't like coconut so I don't add it if I am taking this to their house when we do potluck meals. If there will be a large crowd there then I will double the recipe. Everyone always seems to come back for seconds! I always hope I will have leftovers....but rarely do!

This recipe reminds me of a cream pie...without the crust! It just melts in your mouth and definitely tastes better the next day so I like to make it the night before I will be serving it. That way the yummy little mini-marshmallows get a spongy texture. I generally try to use a vanilla or French vanilla instant pudding mix in this recipe but you can substitute lemon, banana, chocolate, pumpkin or whatever other pudding flavor you prefer! (Jello brand doesn't contain gluten so I stick with that brand).

Pineapple Fluff Recipe:
  • 1 small box instant pudding mix, dry (don't prepare it! you just need the dry powder!). Make sure your pudding mix is gluten free. I use Jello brand. I prefer using either vanilla or French Vanilla instant pudding mix. I have not tried the sugar free version so I can't tell you if it will work well but I assume it would. 
  • 1 (12 oz.) container of Cool Whip non dairy topping, thawed (If you live in a country that doesn't have Cool Whip then you can substitute Whipped cream, prepared Dream Whip or even use Mascarpone cheese that is slightly sweetened).
  • 1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks or tidbits (including the juice!). If you want extra flavor you can add a small can (6-8 oz) crushed pineapple with juice too! (Our family prefers pineapple so I stick with that but you can substitute fruit cocktail or peach chunks).
  • 2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 3/4 cup shredded coconut, optional (it can be unsweetened or sweetened)
Pour the dry instant pudding powder into a bowl. Stir in the pineapple chunks with the juice. Stir until the pudding powder is mixed into the juice well (no clumps!). Stir in the Cool Whip and mini marshmallows. Cover and put in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight so the flavors blend and the mini marshmallows get spongy.





This recipe is so easy to prepare that I didn't even bother taking pictures of the steps. It is basically dump the ingredients into a bowl, stir and refrigerate. It isn't rocket science! I made this last night and this is what it looks like this morning. You can dress it up by adding some maraschino cherries or nuts if you prefer. I just like it simple. Not only is it less expensive without adding the nuts but I don't have to worry about nut allergies when I take this to a potluck. 

Enjoy this super easy recipe at your next potluck or holiday brunch. Make a double batch if you plan on having leftovers! :)

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually



No comments:

Post a Comment