My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Friday, July 3, 2015

Gluten Free Zucchini Coconut Lime Loaf

Zucchini Coconut Lime Loaf. I love the moist loaf with the tart lime glaze. It just melts in your mouth. The only downside is that you are tempted to go back for seconds because it is really yummy. I had a patient that gave me a couple of gigantic zucchinis so I wanted to design a gluten free zucchini loaf that wasn't dry or overly sweet. I like coconut so I added about 1/2 cup of shredded sweetened coconut (but you can obviously leave that out if you don't like it) and I added a slightly tart lime glaze that compliments the sweet loaf. It is kind of a cross between a sweet bread and a cake. You can serve it for breakfast or dessert. This also freezes very well...if you have any leftovers! I will also freeze some shredded zucchini so I can make some of these scrumptious loaves later in the winter! (Winter here in Arizona means breakfast on the patio!)

I couldn't find a recipe that I thought would work for a gluten free version so I took a regular zucchini cake recipe and a zucchini bread recipe and added a few extra things (and substituted gluten free flour) to it to make it a customized loaf recipe to meet my needs. You can substitute lemon or orange in place of lime if you prefer. You can leave out the coconut. You can leave out the finely ground almonds and substitute flour instead. It is a very flexible recipe which is what I like about it! Since zucchini doesn't really have much of a flavor....it is a great way to get moisture (and vegetables!) into your loaf. You can make this recipe using regular flour if you don't have a gluten allergy!

Zucchini Coconut Lime Loaf:
  • 2 cups of gluten free flour blend (I used my recipe below but you can use any gluten free flour blend that you prefer. I prefer the ones without the sorghum because it leaves a weird after taste in my sweets). I have also used 1 cup GF flour blend + 1 cup coconut flour and had great results too. Of course if you don't have a gluten allergy then you can use regular flour.
  • 1/2 cup finely ground almonds (or substitute additional 1/2 cup of gluten free flour)
  • 1 cup sugar (I used unbleached non GMO sugar but you can use regular white sugar)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum or guar gum if your gluten free flour doesn't contain it. Leave out if you are using regular flour or if your GF blend already contains it.
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk + 1 tbs. vinegar (let stand until it starts to thicken. This resembles buttermilk). You can substitute almond milk, coconut milk or any dairy free milk.
  • 1/2 cup oil (I generally use olive oil or avocado oil but vegetable oil will work too!)
  • zest of one large lime (or a couple small limes)
  • about 1/8 cup of lime juice
  • 3 eggs (I used brown, organic eggs)
  • 1 1/4 cup shredded, uncooked zucchini (I shred with peel on after I wash it real well)
  • 1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut (optional)
Lime Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 3-4 tbs. lime juice
  • zest of one lime

 For the loaf: Mix flour, salt, baking powder & baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside. In a larger bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, lime juice & zest and milk-vinegar mixture. Slowly add in the flour mixture with the ground almonds if you are using them. Fold in zucchini and shredded coconut. Pour into greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake in pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool slightly before pouring glaze over top. I chose to keep my loaf simple but you can decorate the top with slivered almonds and coconut if you want to dress it up!

For Lime Glaze: Mix powdered sugar, lime juice & zest until smooth consistency to pour over loaf.

You can double the recipe and bake in a large bundt pan but you will need to increase the baking time slightly. If you choose to bake in muffin cups then you will need to reduce the baking time to approximately 18-22 minutes. Keep in mind that oven temperatures and altitudes can change the baking time! Always check at the soonest baking time and adjust as needed.


My Homemade Gluten Free Flour Blend Recipe:
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
  • 1 cup white rice flour (I used sweet rice flour for this batch)
  • 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour (made from sticky rice, gluten free)
  • 1 cup potato starch (not flour)
  • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk or dairy free milk powder, make sure it is very fine in texture
  • 1 cup corn starch or tapioca starch (I used tapioca starch for this batch)
  • 3 tbs. xanthan gum
Combine all ingredients together well. You can put it in the blender for an extra smooth texture if desired. I store mine in a glass container and use it in place of regular flour in all my recipes. This particular blend I really like for baked sweet goods and breads. (Note: if using my homemade gluten free flour blend you will not need to add additional xanthan gum to your recipe since this batch already contains it!)

Prior to baking

Slightly cooled & just glazed

Glazed and ready to put on a decorative plate

Up close view of the lime glaze

Ready to eat!
 I hope you enjoy this very moist, slightly sweet & slightly tart zucchini loaf. I will be making this recipe again this weekend so I can share with my co-workers since I have another zucchini in my refrigerator.  So the next time someone gives you a bag full of zucchini.....try this recipe and see how scrumptious it tastes! :)

Happy Baking!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

1 comment:

  1. If you are using a gluten free flour blend that feels really powdery or chalky...you might want to add about 4 oz. of cream cheese to give it a silky texture and help the flours bind. My homemade gluten free flour blend works great (I have also tried King Arthur, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Cup4Cup and Trader Joe's brands all with great results but some of the other other brands tend to leave the loaf with a crumbly texture!)

    ReplyDelete