I couldn't find a recipe that I thought would work for a gluten free version so I took a regular zucchini cake recipe and a zucchini bread recipe and added a few extra things (and substituted gluten free flour) to it to make it a customized loaf recipe to meet my needs. You can substitute lemon or orange in place of lime if you prefer. You can leave out the coconut. You can leave out the finely ground almonds and substitute flour instead. It is a very flexible recipe which is what I like about it! Since zucchini doesn't really have much of a flavor....it is a great way to get moisture (and vegetables!) into your loaf. You can make this recipe using regular flour if you don't have a gluten allergy!
Zucchini Coconut Lime Loaf:
- 2 cups of gluten free flour blend (I used my recipe below but you can use any gluten free flour blend that you prefer. I prefer the ones without the sorghum because it leaves a weird after taste in my sweets). I have also used 1 cup GF flour blend + 1 cup coconut flour and had great results too. Of course if you don't have a gluten allergy then you can use regular flour.
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds (or substitute additional 1/2 cup of gluten free flour)
- 1 cup sugar (I used unbleached non GMO sugar but you can use regular white sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum or guar gum if your gluten free flour doesn't contain it. Leave out if you are using regular flour or if your GF blend already contains it.
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk + 1 tbs. vinegar (let stand until it starts to thicken. This resembles buttermilk). You can substitute almond milk, coconut milk or any dairy free milk.
- 1/2 cup oil (I generally use olive oil or avocado oil but vegetable oil will work too!)
- zest of one large lime (or a couple small limes)
- about 1/8 cup of lime juice
- 3 eggs (I used brown, organic eggs)
- 1 1/4 cup shredded, uncooked zucchini (I shred with peel on after I wash it real well)
- 1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbs. lime juice
- zest of one lime
For Lime Glaze: Mix powdered sugar, lime juice & zest until smooth consistency to pour over loaf.
You can double the recipe and bake in a large bundt pan but you will need to increase the baking time slightly. If you choose to bake in muffin cups then you will need to reduce the baking time to approximately 18-22 minutes. Keep in mind that oven temperatures and altitudes can change the baking time! Always check at the soonest baking time and adjust as needed.
My Homemade Gluten Free Flour Blend Recipe:
Combine all ingredients together well. You can put it in the blender for an extra smooth texture if desired. I store mine in a glass container and use it in place of regular flour in all my recipes. This particular blend I really like for baked sweet goods and breads. (Note: if using my homemade gluten free flour blend you will not need to add additional xanthan gum to your recipe since this batch already contains it!)
I hope you enjoy this very moist, slightly sweet & slightly tart zucchini loaf. I will be making this recipe again this weekend so I can share with my co-workers since I have another zucchini in my refrigerator. So the next time someone gives you a bag full of zucchini.....try this recipe and see how scrumptious it tastes! :)
Gluten Free Casually
|Prior to baking|
|Slightly cooled & just glazed|
|Glazed and ready to put on a decorative plate|
|Up close view of the lime glaze|
|Ready to eat!|
Gluten Free Casually