My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Hawaiian Chicken (Gluten Free)

Hawaiian Chicken is a super easy, very moist and delicious main dish. I love it because it has a slightly sweet (from the pineapple) yet slightly salty flavor (from the ham and cheese) and the combination is delightful. I like to pair it with coconut rice for the extra sweet flavor but you can pair it with any side dish. Of course if you want true authentic Hawaiian style you can use SPAM instead of ham! ;)

Hawaiian chicken is great served not only for a quick dinner after a busy day at work but if you cut the pieces (or use chicken finger sized chicken) it makes a great appetizer or brunch recipe as well.

I came up with this recipe because I had some chicken in my refrigerator and I was tired of the "same old chicken recipes". I didn't have the ingredients to make my traditional pizza chicken recipe but I did have ingredients to make a "Hawaiian pizza" chicken. Therefore....Hawaiian chicken was born at our house! You can use any type of pineapple that you have on hand. I only had crushed pineapple and I love it because you get a little bit of pineapple in every bite. You can use pineapple rings for a more elegant presentation. You can also make extra chicken and freeze them for future use on a night that you are really busy. You can cook the pineapple and chicken in the crockpot for convenience and then just add the ham and cheese just before serving.

Hawaiian Chicken Recipe:
  • 4-6 chicken breasts
  • 4-6 slices of ham (you can use gluten free deli ham or sliced ham like I did today or for true Hawaiian style you can use thinly sliced SPAM)
  • 1 can pineapple (I used a 15 oz can and let the extra cook in the bottom of pan for extra juice and flavor)
  • 4-6 slices of  cheese (any type will work. If you only have shredded cheese that will work too!)
Put the chicken in an oven safe pan (or in your crockpot on low so it doesn't burn). Spoon the pineapple on top of the chicken. Cover the oven safe pan with foil. (If you are using the crock pot then put the lid on and set temperature on low and cook 4-6 hours until chicken is done and no pink is showing in center or until juices run clear). If you are baking in the oven, set the temperature on 375 degrees and put the foil covered chicken in the oven for approximately 30-45 minutes (depending on how thick your chicken is) until the juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove from oven and place the ham on top of the pineapple and place a slice (or handful of shredded cheese) on top of the ham. Return to oven until the cheese melts. (If using the crockpot just remove the lid and place the ham and cheese on top of the chicken and return the lid. Keep covered until the ham is warm and cheese is melted. I like to save any leftover juice and put it with any leftover chicken in the refrigerator for extra flavor and to keep the chicken moist until I re-heat it for a left over meal!

Prior to covering with foil and baking in 375 degree oven for 30-45 minutes

This is the gluten free sliced ham I used for today's recipe

Any type of sliced or shredded cheese will work with this recipe

Ready to eat! Extra Cheesy!

Yummy!

Up close view of the Hawaiian Chicken. See the layers?

Delicious!
This is a very easy recipe and can be changed to use what you have in your cupboards. If you have a dairy allergy then you can certainly use a dairy free cheese substitute. I like this recipe because it tastes really fancy but it goes together pretty quick and is budget friendly. It is simple enough for a casual weeknight dinner yet elegant enough for a holiday dinner or brunch! You can also make ahead and freeze them or make a few days ahead and refrigerate until ready to cook. This is great for those crazy schedules! Of course if you really want "traditional Hawaiian then you can substitute SPAM instead of ham!)

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually


No comments:

Post a Comment