My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Monday, December 4, 2017

Flourless Almond & Coconut Cake

Flourless Almond Coconut Cake! Today's gluten free dessert was made by my sister-in-law Becky Sater. She is a fabulous baker and offered to do this recipe for the blog. No one in her immediate family is gluten free but she decided to try this recipe she found online and was excited to bake it. She said they LOVED it and will make it again in the near future for the holidays.

I love recipes that don't require expensive, special gluten free flour blends. This cake is naturally gluten free so people can make it at home easily without conversions, special ingredients and KNOW it will be scrumptious. This is a great baked treat for the holiday dessert table, hostess gift and work potluck. I plan on making one for Christmas Eve at my house. I host a casual Christmas Eve at my house. Anyone that is available stops by for desserts. We load up on the trailer filled with bales of hay and drive around singing Christmas carols, laughing and enjoying the beautiful Christmas lights. It has become a holiday tradition. After we are done on the hay ride, people are welcome to come back to our home and sit by the fire pit and drink mulled wine, coffee or hot chocolate and visit. Some years we have a packed house and other times just a handful depending on work schedules and other plans. Regardless, we always have a great time!

This reminds me of a European cake because they use a lot of ground nuts instead of flour in their baked goods. (I always enjoy a European style cake because it reminds me of my visits to Germany).  Nuts keep the cake moist, dense and delicious! You can substitute other nuts like ground hazelnuts, pistachios, pecans or cashews in this recipe. Be creative with what you have on hand or with what is on sale at the store! Keep in mind that most recipes work best if you weigh the ingredients instead of using cup measurements because weight is more precise. However, with that being said...I have used the "cup measurement" for years without issues. You can get conversions online for most ingredients from gram to cup.

Flourless Almond & Coconut Cake Recipe:

  • 180 grams of Almond Flour  (This is just shy of 2 cups if you don't have a scale). Almond flour is actually finely ground almonds. It is also called almond meal. It doesn't contain flour.
  • 60 grams of shredded, unsweetened coconut (This is just about 1 cup if you don't have a scale). If you only have sweetened coconut then reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup and add additional 1/4 cup of almond flour. This will keep the cake from being too sweet. 
  • 250 grams of sugar (this is just a smidge over 1 cup if you don't have a scale)
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature eggs will work best
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
  • 175 grams unsalted butter (just a smidge over 3/4 cup if you don't have a scale). If you are using salted butter then omit or reduce the 1/4 tsp. salt in this recipe
  • 1/4 tsp. salt 
  • 2 tablespoons almond flakes (reserve for sprinkling on top prior to baking)
  • powdered sugar for sprinkling (also called icing sugar or confectioner's sugar)

Melt the butter and let it cool & set off to the side. Pre-heat your oven to about 350-356 F degrees (180C). Butter/grease a round pan (springform pan will work best to remove cake easily but if you don't  have a springform pan then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper or grease it really well and put a light coat of almond flour.


In a mixing bowl: add almond flour, coconut, salt and sugar. Stir well with a whisk or large fork until combined.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs & vanilla or almond extract. Slowly add the cooled, melted butter into egg mixture & whisk until blended well. (MAKE SURE YOUR BUTTER IS COOLED BEFORE YOU ADD TO EGGS OR YOU WILL SCRAMBLE THE EGGS!)
Melted, cooled butter whisking into eggs

Almond flour, coconut, sugar & salt mixture

Sprinkle with almonds before baking

Pour the butter/egg mixture into the almond mixture. Stir well. Pour into prepared baking pan and spread it out evenly. Scatter the top with the almond flakes. Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 40 minutes or until the top of cake springs back slowly when you gently press it. Cool the cake inside the pan and rest on a cooling rack. If you used a springform pan you can release it after it has cooled and serve it with a light dusting of powdered sugar. (If you baked it in a round pan and not a springform pan then you will need to flip it out onto a plate and then flip it again to get it right side up so the almond flakes are showing).
Ready to eat!

This cake is perfect just the way it is. You can add a hefty dollop of real whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. This cake also freezes well.

Yummy!
I hope you enjoy this wonderful dessert that my sister-in-law Becky did for the blog. My mouth is watering looking at the pictures and wishing I had a piece for my breakfast tomorrow to go with the lovely cup of Nicaraguan coffee I am anticipating. My friends from Nicaragua have sent me a bag of delectable coffee and I am looking forward to it. It would pair nicely with this luscious dessert. Maybe next week I will have time for some serious baking. It has been a super busy past few weeks!
Enjoy the month of December. Remember to take time for yourself and relax. Bake yourself a lovely Flourless Almond Coconut cake. Share it with friends, family or just bake it for yourself to enjoy with a great cup of coffee or tea. (You can freeze pieces to enjoy each week!)

Happy December!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

No comments:

Post a Comment