My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Brownie Cookies

Brownie Cookies. It is a brownie hidden in the form of a cookie. Double yummy! I love brownies & I love cookies. I like the individual cookies because you seem to get more for some reason when you make a batch in cookie form then when you cut brownie squares. I played around with a lot of different recipes and came up with this batch that turned out well. I added mint flavored chocolate chips to my batch because we were craving mint/chocolate combination today but you can use any flavor of chocolate chips and/or nuts you want. This is a basic recipe that can be customized to your favorite brownie preference. They can also be left plain, frosted or sprinkled with powdered sugar. By changing the chips/nuts or topping you can change up the recipe easily. Another one of our favorites is to add a pinch of Chipotle Chili powder & dark chocolate chips for a spicy sweet treat which goes great with Mexican food!

Brownie Cookie Recipe:
  • 2/3 cup margarine (Use one that has 65% or more fat or else the texture won't be right. I used Kroger brand for today's batch). You can substitute Crisco shortening if preferred. 
  • 1 cup sugar (I used raw sugar but you can use regular sugar if you prefer)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup brown rice flour (If you do not have a gluten allergy, you can just use regular flour). You can buy brown rice flour at most grocery stores OR if you have a good blender/grinder then you can grind your own brown rice flour which is less expensive. (Just do it in small batches so you don't burn up the motor in your blender/grinder!)
  • 1/4 cup corn starch or tapioca starch
  • 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (you can leave this out if you are using regular flour). Most Walmarts sell small little packets for under 50 cents each if you don't want to invest in a large bag of it.
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (any flavor) or chopped nuts, optional. (I used mint flavored chocolate chips in today's batch but you can substitute any flavor you want or just omit them if you prefer plain brownie cookies. They are good either way!
single packets sold @ Walmart

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat margarine or shortening and sugar until creamy; add egg. Gradually add vanilla and beat well. Gradually add rice flour, corn starch or tapioca starch, cocoa powder, baking soda & salt until just combined. Don't over mix. Stir in chocolate chips and/or nuts if desired. Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto un-greased cookie sheet. Bake about 9 minutes or until set. Do not over-bake or they will be coffee dunkers! Cool slightly before removing from baking sheet onto cooling rack. *The dough can also be spread into a 9x13 greased pan and baked for 18-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs.







I hope you enjoy these little heavenly brownie-like cookies. We really enjoyed them! They would make a great Valentine's Day treat. The dough freezes well too. The dough can also be pressed into a 9x13 and baked into brownie squares if you prefer.

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually


No comments:

Post a Comment