I haven't made this recipe for quite a few years and then one of my kids requested it. I decided to make it with gluten free spaghetti noodles. Then my daughter requested that I use fat free versions of the cottage cheese and cream cheese for her new gallbladder/pancreas diet. I tried it and none of us could tell the difference. (Even my mom who is not generally a fan of any type of baked spaghetti enjoyed it. She asked for the recipe to make it when she goes back to Ohio!) If you don't have any special diet restrictions you can certainly make it with regular spaghetti noodles & regular cottage cheese & cream cheese! Either way it is DELICIOUS! (Leftovers are just as good!)
Million Dollar Baked Spaghetti Recipe:
- 8 oz. spaghetti noodles (I used Hodgson Mill Brown Rice Gluten Free Noodles). You can use regular spaghetti noodles if you don't have a gluten allergy.
- 16 oz. Cottage cheese (I used fat free)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used fat free)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
- 1 can (24 oz.) spaghetti sauce (I used Hunt's Zesty)
- 1 pound lean hamburger, I used 93% lean hamburger (or you can substitute ground turkey or vegetarian crumbles)
- 1/2 cup diced onion, optional
It was fun bringing an old favorite dish into my gluten free world. This is one of those yummy comfort foods that brings back smiles. Although I enjoy experimenting and trying new recipes...sometimes the old comfortable ones are the best! I am sooooo glad that the gluten free (and fat free) substitutions stood up well to this recipe! It is a keeper!
Gluten Free Casually