|Gluten Free Bread Microwaved in a Coffee Mug!|
I have learned to live my life without bread for the most part. Sometimes when traveling to beach locations (or hiking trips), I like to have a peanut butter sandwich like everyone else. I hate to be "high maintenance" and pack a different type of lunch. This quick gluten free microwave bread recipe allows me to make a quick personal loaf of bread so that I can pack a sandwich too! This will be great for my upcoming trip to Hawaii with my siblings. I want to keep my suitcase light and travel smart. I hate to spend time shopping for specialty groceries for me (not only are they extremely expensive but shopping is time consuming) and it is wasteful if it doesn't get eaten. I can make a personal loaf when and if I need it. This recipe only takes a few minutes total so I can make it while everyone else is showering. Yep, it is that quick! I like to toast it if I am eating it for breakfast but it makes a decent sandwich for lunches too. I have always eaten it the same day so I am not sure how long it will keep or what the texture would be like a couple days later.
I have made the bread plain and if you add sugar it reminds me of Hawaiian rolls which I really like. Slightly sweet. You can leave the sugar out and substitute it with flour. I have also added cinnamon + a tiny box of raisins (about 2 tbs) for raisin bread. I have also used dried cranberries and walnuts. I have added dried rosemary or Italian seasonings for a savory bread if I am making it at home. You can pretty much customize it to whatever flavors you really like. I have also used the personal bread loaf as a base for a personal pizza. It is kind of like using french bread or bagels as your pizza base. ("Bagel Bites Pizza" idea) You just top it with pizza sauce, cheese and your favorite pizza toppings and bake until toasty and cheese is melted. It is great when you are in the mood for a quick, gluten free pizza snack without all the fuss. You can slice the bread into small round slices or you can slice it lengthwise for a sandwich - hoagie bun size.
The idea of microwave bread in a mug came to me when I was experimenting with coffee mug microwave personal chocolate cakes. I tried a few different recipes and several of them had a bread like texture. Hmmmm.....if I tweaked it just a little then I could have a personal loaf of bread any time I wanted. I liked the concept. I'm still experimenting with flavors and different flour blends. Although the texture is a little heavier than traditional yeast breads...you can't beat convenience of this super quick & easy bread and let's face it...it is very economical! I am not saying this is the absolute best gluten free bread...I am just saying that I really like it for a quick personal loaf without a lot of fuss. Who wants to drag out a bread maker or heavy duty mixer when you just want a personal loaf? This is also quick for busy mom's that need a quick breakfast or bread for a child on a gluten free diet. It takes just as long as making oatmeal in the microwave! This bread can also be made into French toast! Come on....how easy is that! (Not to mention that if you cut the bread into the round circles then it makes super cute French toast!)
Gluten Free Microwave Bread in a Mug Recipe:
- 8 tbs. gluten free flour blend (I used Betty Crocker Gluten Free blend today. I have also used Trader Joe's brand, Cup 4 Cup brand, Hodgson Mill brand and my own gluten free flour blend. They all worked fine. I personally liked my gluten free flour blend and the cup 4 cup brand best. You can find my recipe for gluten free flour blend below). When traveling, I found it easier to take the smaller bags of flour like Trader Joe's or Betty Crocker Gluten Free Flour. I find it easier to go through security lines at the airport with the flour in the original package so I pack new small bag of gluten free flour! (I did not try Bisquick Gluten Free Baking Mix since I did not want a biscuit texture).
- 1 tbs. sugar (I used raw sugar but you can use regular sugar)
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- pinch of xanthan gum or guar gum if your gluten free flour mix doesn't already contain it (I used 1/16 tsp. which is half of 1/8 teaspoonful. It is literally a tiny amount!)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs. milk (you can substitute almond milk, soy milk, rice milk or water if you have a dairy allergy)
- 1 teaspoon butter, margarine or oil
- (you can add optional seasonings if you want like cinnamon, Italian blend, Rosemary or dried fruit like raisins or cranberries. I would limit the amount of dried fruit to about 2-3 tbs)
My Homemade Gluten Free Flour Blend Recipe:
Combine all ingredients together well. You can put it in the blender for an extra smooth texture if desired. I store mine in a glass container and use it in place of regular flour in all my recipes. This particular blend I really like for baked sweet goods and breads. (Note: if using my homemade gluten free flour blend you will not need to add additional xanthan gum to your recipe since this batch already contains it!)
|Hawaiian Sweet Bread (added the sugar)|
|Plain white bread (only added a pinch of sugar and substituted the sugar listed in recipe with flour)|
|Raisin Bread Version. Added 2 tbs. raisins with 1 tbs. cinnamon|
|Up close view of my sliced raisin bread. It was delicious with strong coffee! :)|
Gluten Free Casually