My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Macadamia Encrusted Fish Filets (Gluten Free)

Macadamia Encrusted Salmon
Macadamia Encrusted Fish Filets! I was craving some Hawaiian style food that you can find on Oahu. (I personally think Oahu has the best Hawaiian food!) I found a recipe that was tucked into a package of Macadamia nuts that I purchased and completely over-hauled the recipe! I deleted a couple of ingredients and added a couple of new ingredients. It was wonderful. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use any type of fish (my favorites are salmon, blue hake, Mahi Mahi or Talapia) or if you aren't a fish eater...substitute chicken. The crunchy topping just melts in your mouth with the rich flavors of Hawaii. I like to serve it with coconut rice and steamed veggies. Although I am not on vacation...I am enjoying the nice weather and eating this tasty dish on the patio watching the waves in my pool...pretending it is the ocean! :)

I always enjoy going on vacations. I like to try the local food places rather than food chains. I like to experience the flavor of our vacation destination. I will admit that it isn't always what I am expecting! We do enjoy going to Hawaii to relax and be by the beach. I love the beauty of the ocean animals (Whales, dolphins and sea turtles) and the tropical plants. Oahu is my favorite island although most people claim it is too commercialized. We like the beaches and the shops in the north shore area because it seems more "mom & pop" style. I will admit the traffic can be harry during the rush hour trying to get around the island but we like it there best although each island is nice. (Although Hawaiian sunsets are nice...they are nothing compared to the spectacular sunsets we get in Arizona!)

 Macadamia Encrusted Fish Filets Recipe:
  • 1 can (8 oz.) coconut milk (not coconut water), if you don't like coconut then you can substitute evaporated milk or heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
  • 1/2 cup gluten free corn bread mix, dry & unprepared (see my recipe on the blog posted 12/30/12 or you can use a pre-made mix & if you don't have a gluten allergy then you can just use regular corn bread mix like Jiffy brand). Don't prepare the mix, you want to just use it dry in place of flour or bread crumbs. In a pinch, you can use gluten free flour but the corn bread mix gives it great flavor!
  • 1/4 cup melted butter or olive oil
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 4 fish fillets, thawed

Place fish filets in 9x9 pan and pour the coconut milk over top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (I have actually done this in the morning before work and let it sit in the fridge all day and finished up the recipe when I got home and it worked out great). Combine the nuts, dry corn bread mix, melted butter and coconut. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place the fish fillets on top of the lined baking sheet. Don't remove any of the coconut milk that is still sticking to the fish. It will add flavor, moisture and help the topping adhere to fish! Sprinkle the topping onto fish. Bake in 425 degree pre-heated oven for 13-18 minutes or until crust is golden and fillets are cooked through.

chopping my macadamia nuts

soaking my fish fillets in coconut milk

Adding the topping to my coconut milk soaked fish fillets

Ready for the oven (or you can put the baking sheet on the grill in summer when it is too hot for ovens!)

Macadamia encrusted salmon

Macadamia encrusted salmon with coconut rice....ready to eat!

Macadamia encrusted Mahi Mahi fillets

A humpback whale tail from our Maui Whale Watch Tour this past February

A humpback whale from our Maui Whale Watch Tour this past February

I hope you enjoy the recipe for the Macadamia Encrusted Fish Fillets. Please feel free to post any pictures or substitutions that you made to the recipe. I am always interested in how you change up a recipe. We all learn from each other!

Aloha!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually



No comments:

Post a Comment