My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Gluten Free Spoon Bread (Corn Casserole)

Spoon Bread (also known to some people as corn casserole or corn pudding) is one of my FAVORITE dishes. It has the sweet flavor of corn bread but it is heavier and more moist. It goes great with any type of meal and I have been known to eat leftovers for breakfast...even cold!

I make mine from scratch but you can use store bought gluten free corn bread mix. (If you don't have a gluten allergy then you can just 1 box of Jiffy Corn bread mix instead). The spoon bread is slightly sweet so it compliments a spicy dish as well as a brunch dish. I serve it as a side dish for just about anything including steak, chicken, BBQ ribs and pulled pork. Our July 4th BBQ wouldn't be complete without this dish! I have noticed that some Mexican restaurants are now putting it as a side dish on their menu. I am pretty sure it is not a Mexican dish but like I said before...it compliments just about anything and it is delicious! You can also add a can of green chiles or 1/4 cup chunky salsa to the recipe but I personally just prefer it plain.

The texture is different than bread. It has a dense texture similar to a very firm cheesecake. Although you could probably eat it with your fingers, most people eat it with a spoon...hence the name spoon bread. It is definitely not sandwich bread. Although you could probably make these into muffins, I have never tried it. I just always bake it in a casserole dish because I like the texture I get from baking it in a casserole dish. I bake mine in a round casserole dish with a lid but if I am making it for a crowd then I double the recipe and bake in 9x13 pan and cover with foil. The original recipe calls for 1 stick of butter and 1 cup of sour cream. I actually only use 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter instead because I find it to be less greasy without losing any of the flavor. I also substitute 3/4 cup of cream cheese for the 1 cup of sour cream. I found with making things gluten free... adding cream cheese in place of some of the butter or shortening will give the recipe a nice moist texture and keep it from becoming crumbly after a day or so. Of course if you have a dairy allergy then you can substitute a dairy free version of cream cheese. (You won't taste the cream cheese in the recipe).

Spoon Bread Recipe:
  • 1.5 cups gluten free DRY corn bread mix (see my recipe below if you want to make it homemade. You can use 1.5 cups of a store bought gluten free mix if you prefer but you will need to add 2 tablespoons of sugar since most of them aren't sweet enough. If you don't have a gluten allergy then you can use 1 box of Jiffy Corn Bread Mix). DO NOT PREPARE CORN BREAD MIX...YOU JUST NEED THE DRY INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE!
  • 1/4 cup of melted real butter (original recipe called for 1/2 cup but I found it was a little too greasy for me so I cut back on the butter and it still tasted great!)
  • 3/4 cup cream cheese (I have used the regular and reduced fat version. I wouldn't recommend using fat free since I can't guarantee it will work. The original recipe called for 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt. I prefer the cream cheese. It gives the spoon bread a really great texture and enhances the flavor of the corn. It also prevents it from becoming crumbly when re-heating leftovers).
  • 2 eggs (the original recipe called for 1 egg but converting it to gluten free...you really need 2 eggs to get the right texture. I've done it both ways and 2 eggs works better than 1 egg!)
  • 1 (14-16 oz) can creamed corn (If you don't have creamed corn on hand, just take a can of regular corn (including the juice in the can), 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tbs. cornstarch and blend)
  • 1 (14-16 oz) regular whole kernel corn (not creamed), drained
 Mix all ingredients together by hand (or use a mixer but don't over-beat it!). At this point, you can add any extras like green chiles if you want. I prefer mine plain but I know some people prefer chiles or chunky salsa in their recipe. Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole dish (or 8x8 or 9x9 pan) with a lid or use foil to cover it. Cook in pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Top should be lightly golden and it should be slightly firm like a cheesecake texture. It should not be "jiggly". Knife inserted in center should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Depending on your oven and altitude, you may have to adjust your baking time. I have been other places and have had to bake it an additional 20-25 minutes longer. Just check it at 1 hour and see if it is done. (Baking it with the lid/foil will help it to cook faster on the inside, keep it moist and prevent the top from burning before the inside is done. If you like the top a little more brown then just remove the lid/foil about 15 minutes before removing it from the oven.  RECIPE CAN EASILY BE DOUBLED AND BAKED IN 9x13 PAN or LARGER CASSEROLE DISH. YOU CAN ALSO COOK IT ON LOW SETTING IN CROCKPOT FOR 4-6 HRS.

Gluten Free Corn Bread Muffin Recipe (Copy cat for Jiffy brand)
1.5 cups of the mix = 1 small box of Jiffy corn bread muffin mix.
(Recipe below is equivalent to 1 small box of Jiffy corn bread/muffin mix)
  • 2/3 cup flour (I used my gluten free flour blend, see recipe below but if you don't have a gluten allergy then you can just use regular flour!)
  • 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (I prefer using 1/4 cup corn flour + 1/4 cup polenta but cornmeal works fine too)
  • 1/8 cup sugar (you can add a little less if you don't care for sweet muffins or add a smidge more sugar if you prefer them slightly sweeter. You can also substitute raw sugar or stevia. If using Stevia you will need to check box for how much to substitute. I am not sure if it is equal amounts).
  • 1 tbs. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Mix ingredients together with a fork or spoon. If you are not using it right away, you can store it in a ziploc bag, glass jar or rubbermaid container. I like to double or triple the recipe so I have it on hand when I need it. 1.5 cups of the mix = 1 small box of Jiffy corn bread muffin mix.

To prepare muffins, combine 1.5 cups of the mix with 1 egg, 2tbs. oil or melted butter and 1/3 cup milk by hand and let stand for about 5 minutes before putting into either greased muffin cups or paper lined muffin cups. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for approximately 13-18 minutes or until lightly golden on top and muffin springs back when gently touched or toothpick inserted comes out clean. 

My Gluten Free Flour Blend Recipe:
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
  • 1 cup white rice flour 
  • 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour or soy flour
  • 1 cup potato starch (not flour)
  • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk, make sure it is very fine in texture
  • 1 cup corn starch or tapioca starch (I used corn starch for this batch)
  • 3 tbs. xanthan gum
Combine all ingredients together well. I store mine in a glass container and use it in place of regular flour in most of my recipes. *Glutinous rice flour does not contain gluten, it is made from sticky rice.








I hope you enjoy one of my old "hillbilly" recipes that I converted to gluten free. Please post any substitutions or additions that you made in the comments below. My family loves this recipe and I make it for most of our casual family get-togethers. I think my kids (and most of my friends) would throw a fit if I didn't make this for Easter, Thanksgiving & our July 4th BBQ. When we have a large crowd...I will 4x the recipe so we have enough to eat + a little extra for leftovers! My kids always want to take some home with them!




1 comment:

  1. I tried this recipe recently using the Hodgson Mill Brand Gluten Free Corn Bread Mix this weekend since I didn't have any homemade mix on hand. I just added 2 tablespoons of sugar and it turned out great too! I got my Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Corn Bread Mix at my local Wal-Mart in their gluten free aisle. You can also find it at specialty food stores.

    ReplyDelete