My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Almond Butter Cookies (Flourless)


 
Almond Butter Cookies. How do you say delicious?! They have the European flavor and texture of a German cookie that I really like. They are slightly chewy but you can really taste the flavors of the almonds and honey in these! I was in the mood to do some experimenting for my friend Judi's birthday so I decided to convert my easy "peanut butter" recipe into a Almond Butter cookie recipe...although I had to improvise because I didn't realize Almond Butter is more gooey in texture. I added some ground almonds. I also wanted to cut back on the sugar...so I substituted honey. I love the way the recipe turned out. It is very basic, very easy and it is naturally gluten free since you don't have to add any flour to this recipe! I wanted to make Judi a cookie that tasted great, had a European flare and had less sugar. I wanted a more "natural" type cookie especially since we vowed we were going to eat a little healthier this year. (I am a work in progress.  Ya'll know how much I like junk food!)

Sometimes little experiments like these will keep me busy in the kitchen for hours. I make a batter and then bake 2 cookies and see how they turn out before baking the entire batch. Less waste of ingredients that way! I ended up adding more ground almonds to the batter until I had it perfect. Then I decided to sprinkle some shave almonds on top. (Only because I already had some on hand. I sure wouldn't run out to the store to buy them...although it does dress them up!)

Almond Butter Cookies (Flourless) Recipe:
  • 1 cup Almond Butter (I used Trader Joe's brand which has no added sugar. You can make your own if you prefer). 
  • 1 cup finely ground almonds (also called almond flour although no flour is added)
  • 1/3 cup honey (I used raw, organic honey). If you have a honey allergy then you should be able to substitute Agave nectar. 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (make sure it is gluten free)
  • pinch of salt (I used about 1/2 tsp)

Mix all ingredients together well with a spoon. Batter will be thick and slightly sticky. I used a cookie scoop so I could make evenly sized cookies with minimal mess. Yes, I am messy and I didn't want to be caught licking my fingers on cookies that were a gift! Drop onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10-13 minutes. Oven temperatures and altitude can vary cooking times so check them at 10 minutes. They will set up a little more after you remove them from oven so don't over bake them!

Batter (It is thick and slightly sticky)


Dough Balls sprinkled with shaved almonds ready to bake

Up close view of dough balls before baking (you don't need to flatten)

Just removed from the oven. Still hot!

Ready to eat!

Up close view of the cookie

Side view of cookies

Ready to box up for Judi's birthday!
Ready to give Judi

This is a great way to package treats for party favors, gifts or bake sales!
I like to use the short, clear disposable cups and package cookies, cupcakes, truffles (basically any type of treat) in them. Wrap them in a clear cellophane bag that you find in the birthday department that are made for party treats. It is an inexpensive but pretty way to transport treats. I also like to do this for gift baskets. Keeps all the flavors separate and prevents treats from getting crushed.

Have a beautiful summer day! Stay cool!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

No comments:

Post a Comment