Sometimes little experiments like these will keep me busy in the kitchen for hours. I make a batter and then bake 2 cookies and see how they turn out before baking the entire batch. Less waste of ingredients that way! I ended up adding more ground almonds to the batter until I had it perfect. Then I decided to sprinkle some shave almonds on top. (Only because I already had some on hand. I sure wouldn't run out to the store to buy them...although it does dress them up!)
Almond Butter Cookies (Flourless) Recipe:
- 1 cup Almond Butter (I used Trader Joe's brand which has no added sugar. You can make your own if you prefer).
- 1 cup finely ground almonds (also called almond flour although no flour is added)
- 1/3 cup honey (I used raw, organic honey). If you have a honey allergy then you should be able to substitute Agave nectar.
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (make sure it is gluten free)
- pinch of salt (I used about 1/2 tsp)
Mix all ingredients together well with a spoon. Batter will be thick and slightly sticky. I used a cookie scoop so I could make evenly sized cookies with minimal mess. Yes, I am messy and I didn't want to be caught licking my fingers on cookies that were a gift! Drop onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10-13 minutes. Oven temperatures and altitude can vary cooking times so check them at 10 minutes. They will set up a little more after you remove them from oven so don't over bake them!
|Batter (It is thick and slightly sticky)|
|Dough Balls sprinkled with shaved almonds ready to bake|
|Up close view of dough balls before baking (you don't need to flatten)|
|Just removed from the oven. Still hot!|
|Ready to eat!|
|Up close view of the cookie|
|Side view of cookies|
|Ready to box up for Judi's birthday!|
|Ready to give Judi|
|This is a great way to package treats for party favors, gifts or bake sales!|
Have a beautiful summer day! Stay cool!
Gluten Free Casually