My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Butterfinger Brownie Trifle

Butterfinger Brownie Trifle! This is one our family favorites. I frequently get asked to bring this recipe to parties and I always come home with an empty bowl! I love the recipe because you can change the ingredients to customize flavors and you can serve it in a trifle bowl, glass bowl, individual wine/dessert glasses or even just cut it into squares. I have also served this in individual clear plastic short disposable cups when I go to a picnic or BBQ where I don't want to drag my heavy glass trifle bowl. A friend of ours has grown children and when they come into town...I always ask what they want me to bring over...it is ALWAYS this recipe!

My sister-in-law Becky brought this to a family party many years ago and it was a hit. She was kind enough to share the recipe and it has been one of our favorite recipes. Becky's original recipe called for regular brownies but I just converted it to gluten free by substituting gluten free brownies. You can use homemade brownies or boxed brownies. It tastes great either way. I will warn you that this is a very rich dessert and it isn't low calorie! ;)

You can change this recipe by substituting either Heath Toffee Bits, Chopped up Reese Cups or Chico Sticks in this recipe. You can also substitute a soft, chewy peanut butter bars in place of brownies if you don't like chocolate & change the pudding flavor to vanilla. If you decide not to layer the ingredients in a trifle style and prefer to serve them into sliced squares then you will need to make the pudding layer very thick and add 1/2 cup less milk like it suggests for the "pie instructions". If you have a milk allergy then you can make the pudding with almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc. I use Cool Whip non-dairy topping because it holds it's shape and doesn't separate like real whipped cream does. However, you can make it whichever way you prefer. I prefer making this dessert with brownies or a brownie texture like bar but you can make it with a cake instead. (There are many great gluten free cake mixes out there or make one from scratch).

I made this recipe today in celebration of Father's Day since it is one my family's favorite recipes. We just did a very casual pool BBQ on Saturday so everyone could do their own thing on Sunday. 

Butterfinger Brownie Trifle Recipe:
  • 1 pan of brownies, 9x13 pan size (I made my homemade gluten free brownies (recipe below) but you can use gluten free brownie mix or if you don't have a gluten allergy then just use regular brownies. Just make sure you are using a recipe that makes a 9x13 pan or you won't have enough to layer in a trifle bowl! If you are cutting into bars or layering in a wine/dessert glass then you can use whatever size you want).
  • 6 full size Butterfinger candy bars, crushed (I just put mine on a cutting board and chop with a knife) or use 12-16 snack size bars, chopped
  • 1 Chocolate instant pudding mix (5.9 oz size) or 2 small boxes, prepared using 2.5-3 cups milk. If you are making these into squares rather than trifle, I would only use 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 cups milk so it is thick and sets up nice. If you are making it into a trifle then you can use the full 3 cups of milk and make it into a regular pudding. 
  • 1 large container Cool Whip non-dairy whipped topping (16 oz. size for trifle bowl or 8 oz size for bars)

Prepare the brownies according to your recipe or box. Cool completely.

If you are keeping them in the 9x13 pan and cutting into squares: Spread the prepared pudding layer on top of cooled brownies. Sprinkle half of the chopped Butterfinger candy bars onto the pudding layer. Spread the 8 oz. Cool Whip over top. Sprinkle with remaining chopped Butterfinger candy. Refrigerate for several overs prior to cutting so layers can settle. Keep any leftovers refrigerated.

For the trifle: Cut the cooled brownies into chunks. Layer half of the chopped brownies on the bottom of the bowl. Spread half of the prepared pudding on top of the brownies, top with half of the chopped Butterfinger bars, then 1/2 of the 16 oz. Cool Whip. Repeat layers ending with Cool Whip on top. I generally reserve about 2 tablespoons of crushed Butterfinger candy to sprinkle on top of them Cool Whip for decoration but you can leave it plain or sprinkle with some chocolate chips. Chill for several hours before serving. Store leftovers in refrigerator.


Up close view after it was getting spooned out of bowl

Ready to eat!


My homemade gluten free brownie recipe that I used for this recipe today:
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 cup cup ground almonds (can substitute ground walnuts, hazelnuts or cashews). If you have a nut allergy the just substitute a gluten free flour blend
  • 2/3 cup rice flour or gluten free flour blend
  • 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum or guar gum (YOU DON'T ADD THIS IF YOUR GLUTEN FREE FLOUR ALREADY CONTAINS IT! IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GLUTEN ALLERGY AND ARE USING REGULAR FLOUR YOU WILL NOT ADD THIS!)
  • 12 tablespoons butter, margarine or Crisco, melted. If using margarine, please make sure it contains at least 65% fat or they will not rise correctly.
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
  • 3 eggs

Melt chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler until smooth. Cool about 5 minutes. Combine the ground almonds, flour and salt. Gradually add the melted butter to the melted chocolate alternately with the flour mixture. Stir until combined, about 15 strokes by hand. Don't over mix. Pour into greased 9x13 pan or two 8" round or square pans. Bake 325 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until set. Toothpick inserted should come out clean or moist crumbs. Cool completely.

Since I made the trifle version today, I don't have any photos of the bar version but will add them at a later date. Please feel free to add any substitutions that worked for you. I always enjoy learning tips from others and baking gluten free has it's challenges. We all learn from each other!

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually

1 comment:

  1. Coconut oil and olive oil will also work in this brownie recipe in place of the butter or Crisco! :)

    ReplyDelete