This is a budget friendly recipe to make for a crowd. I try to make affordable foods that everyone can eat. Kids LOVE them! I don't have to purchase any specialty food items which can be very expensive and potatoes are very affordable. You can use any type of potatoes for this recipe. I have used red skin potatoes, Idaho baking potatoes, butter potatoes, white potatoes and even sweet potatoes. They all work!
I love to serve them when we have a BBQ dinner on the patio. They go great with grilled steaks, ribs, pork chops or chicken. I like serving them instead of mashed potatoes because it seems like it feeds more people. I think my boys can each eat 3 cups of mashed potatoes! However, when I serve these, everyone eats 2-3 and it seems like I can feed more people! Since everything is pre-cooked, you can even just toss the muffin tins on the grill (my grill has a temperature gauge so I can control the heat) or you can cook them in your oven. Keep in mind they take about 25-35 minutes so they get nice & crusty on the top....so be sure to start them before you cook the meat! Oh...and if you are thinking outside the box...these also go great with chili. Don't ask me why but they taste delicious with spicy chili or with eggs for breakfast! Yummy!
I make homemade mashed potatoes which go together pretty quick because I don't peel the potatoes. I wash them, cut them up, boil them until soft and mash them with real butter and salt & a splash of milk or broth. (Sometimes I add some fancy herbs, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, etc). I don't bother peeling the potatoes. Let's face it, we are all busy and I convince everyone that the peels are packed with nutrients. I like the texture it adds. Bottom line is...if you want homemade mashed potatoes at my house...you get them slightly chunky with peels unless you plan on peeling them. I don't like peeling potatoes! I have never made these potato puffs with instant mashed potatoes so I am not sure if they would turn out as well. I am not very good at making instant mashed potatoes. It seems to take me longer to get the texture right than if I just make them from scratch.
Mashed Potato Puffs: (makes about 12 potato puffs about the size of a muffin)
- 3 cups of mashed potatoes (I like to use just basic mashed potatoes with butter, salt & splash of milk or broth)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheese (any type you want. I used shredded Mexican blend cheese today). I also like using a chipotle cheddar cheese or a smoky gouda cheese. Use whatever kind of cheese you have on hand.
- 2 tbs. parmesan cheese or cream cheese, optional (I like to add one of these but you don't need to do it)
- finely chopped green onions or rosemary, optional (I like to add some herbs if I have them on hand but you don't need to do it)
- bacon bits, optional. I like to add some crunchy little real bacon bits to these if I have them on hand and I don't have any vegetarian friends over for dinner. If I am having them for a party or taking them to a brunch then I just leave out the bacon bits in case someone doesn't eat pork.
Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Spoon into greased cupcake pans. Bake in 400 degree pre-heated oven for about 25-35 minutes or until lightly golden on top. Cool a few minutes before running a knife around edges and flipping out onto serving tray. You can serve with your favorite potato toppings if desired (sour cream, salsa, etc). My family likes them without anything else!
|Here are the basic (cold) mashed potatoes that I am using today|
|I added 2 eggs, parmesan cheese, Mexican blend cheese & bacon crumbles|
|Here is the potato mixture ready to spoon into greased muffin cups|
|Here the mashed potato puffs are prior to baking in pre-heated 400 degree oven|
|Fresh from the oven|
|Up close view of the slightly crusty top with bacon crumbles|
|Ready to eat|
|Yummy! See how the outside is slightly crunchy and the center is warm, fluffy and creamy!|
I hope you enjoy this family favorite. It is a very simple, affordable and casual recipe. It is fancy enough for a holiday party or easy enough for a weeknight supper side dish!
Gluten Free Casually