My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Asian Chicken Sloppy Joes


Asian Chicken Sloppy Joes. We were having a little get together and my husband was making Sloppy Joes. My daughter doesn't eat beef and asked if we could make something with ground chicken for her instead of Sloppy Joes. I love to experiment in the kitchen! Sometimes things turn out great and sometimes...well not so great. Luckily, this was a hit. You can substitute ground turkey, ground pork, ground beef or ground game meat in this recipe. This is a fun, easy meal for potlucks, tailgating or football parties. You can re-heat in the microwave or crock pot for casual & easy entertaining. This recipe also freezes well.



Asian Chicken Sloppy Joe Recipe:

  • 1 pound ground chicken (you can substitute any ground meat that you prefer)
  • 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (I used Essential Everyday which is gluten free)
  • 2 tbs. corn starch
  • 1/8 cup sugar (can use raw sugar if you prefer) - add more sugar if you like yours sweeter
  • 1 carrot, finely minced
  • 1 tsp. crushed ginger (I used ginger from the tube found in refrigerated section in produce department)
  • 3 tbs. sesame oil
  • 1 tbs. hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup salsa (I used salsa because I was too lazy to dice up onions & peppers but you could dice up some onion & green peppers and add to a small can of tomato paste if you prefer)
  • 2 green onions, chopped thinly 
  • 2 tbs. Rice Vinegar (or substitute white vinegar) - add more if you like yours more tangy
  • 1 tbs. minced garlic
Brown the ground chicken in a skillet on medium heat until completely cooked. Drain any grease. In a separate small bowl combine the teriyaki sauce, corn starch, sugar, sesame oil, vinegar and hot sauce until no lumps. Gradually add the salsa, green onion, ginger, garlic and carrot. Pour over the cooked ground chicken and cook on medium-low heat until the chicken absorbs most of the liquid and it becomes thick enough to serve on buns (if you have a gluten allergy, Udi's makes a great gluten free hamburger bun - look in your freezer section) or it is also delicious served on corn chips, salad or wrapped in lettuce leaves as an appetizer. 







Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually



No comments:

Post a Comment