My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Asian Noodle Salad

 Asian Noodle Salad. I wanted a pasta salad that I could make with Rice Noodles instead of traditional noodles. (Rice noodles are gluten free) My hubby took me for a lunch date to a Vietnamese Restaurant which inspired this dish. It is pretty easy to make and you can probably use regular spaghetti noodles if you don't have a gluten allergy. (Rice Noodles are gluten free so I chose them plus they absorb the flavors nicely and are very inexpensive at our local Asian Market, $1.59 for 16oz. bag). You can also use gluten free spaghetti noodles (like Ronzoni brand) if you prefer traditional noodles. I have made them both ways!)


Asian Noodle Salad Recipe:
  • 1(14oz or 16 oz.) pkg Rice Noodles
  • 2-3 green onions, chopped
  • 3 Persian Cucumbers (or use 1 large cucumber), sliced or diced
  • 1 carrot, chopped fine
  • 2 cloves garlic or 2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce (I used Gluten Free. I found that Albertson's Grocery Store carries quite a bit of gluten free items which are their own store brand labeled "Essential Everyday". Very economical! I found their Essential Everyday Teriyaki sauce on sale for $1 & it was gluten free!)
  • 3 tbs. lime juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tsp. fresh ginger, crushed (I used the one in a tube found in refrigerator section of produce department), you can probably use the dry powdered ginger spice if you don't have fresh
  • 1 tbs. Rice vinegar (or substitute white vinegar if you don't have Rice Vinegar)
  • 1/4 cup sugar (can use Raw sugar if you prefer)
  • 2-3 tbs. Sesame Oil
  • Fresh Mint Leaves, sliced (optional)


Put the noodles in boiling water & cook for about 2 minutes (Rice noodles cook much faster than wheat noodles). Rinse & cool. Mix the Teriyaki sauce, sugar, ginger, sesame oil, garlic, vinegar, water & lime juice together with a whisk. Combine noodles with the onions, cucumbers & carrot. Pour the teriyaki mixture over top. Gently toss. Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight for best flavor. This allows the teriyaki mixture to soak into the noodles. Garnish with fresh chopped mint if desired. You can also add chile pepper flakes if you want a little kick to the salad.

I wanted a fun pasta dish that everyone can enjoy if they have a gluten allergy or not. This is a simple, inexpensive salad or side dish that works well. I used spring rolls as my inspiration as I created this recipe! You can also add other ingredients like the little Asian baby corn cobs or whatever else you would like. I just kept it simple for my Labor Day get together. 








This is an awesome recipe for a pot luck, BBQ or casual dinner. You can also use the left over noodles to put inside spring rolls which we really like at our house! If you want to turn it into a main dish instead of a side dish...just add grilled chicken, pork or steak. 



Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually




1 comment:

  1. Ronzoni GF spaghetti noodles work great in this recipe also!

    ReplyDelete