My youngest son & me

My youngest son & me

About me

Hi!
My name is Tanja (Sater) Miller and I'm excited about sharing my journey of converting my favorite recipes to gluten free! I am not a fancy cook - I prefer just a casual, fun meal. I am married with grown children (and have small grandchildren) & 3 dogs. I work full time as a registered nurse & I am a geek. Yes, I love Star Trek, Star Wars, Fringe, Firefly, Farscape and most of the other Scify shows. You will probably see a little of my geek side come out once in a while! Please join me on my journey of cooking, baking & converting every day recipes into yummy gluten free meals that everyone can enjoy (not just those with a gluten allergy!) Don't be shy about checking out my recipes....I have the gluten free version along with the regular recipe that I adapted from!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies! My husband wanted some chocolate chip cookies and I was feeling a little too lazy to look through my recipes for my original cookie recipe. So I just used the recipe from the back of the bag of generic store brand chocolate chips. I noticed it was slightly different than my regular one but decided to give it a try. I substituted my gluten free flour mix for our batch (but I have made them for friends since then using the regular flour and the results were exactly the same!). This is probably my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe now. I almost always have some type of cookies at our house. The guys & kids that visit are disappointed if we don't have cookies. So I make cookie dough frequently and sometimes keep the dough in the refrigerator and just bake them as I need them. This is one of the most requested cookies. I like them because they hold their shape well and don't fall apart if I transport them. They have a nice texture and wonderful flavor. You can also add 1 cup of your favorite chopped nuts if desired. Sometimes I will grate a small plain chocolate bar and add it to the cookies or add a small handful of milk chocolate chips, sprinkles or dried cranberries just for additional flavor or color but it isn't necessary...these are quite tasty on their own! Now I catch myself looking on the back of different brands of chocolate chips for different recipes. I have quite a collection of different recipes to try! (I will post the ones I think are worthy!)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
  • 2 1/2 cups flour (I used my gluten free flour blend - recipe below) but if you don't have a gluten allergy you can just use regular flour.
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed (I used light brown sugar)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) real butter (if substituting margarine, make sure it is at least 65% fat for best baking results)
  • 1/2 cup Crisco shortening
  • 2 eggs 
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 12 oz. bag of semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks (or substitute 2 cups M&M candies)
  • 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, dried cranberries, sprinkles (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat softened butter with crisco, gradually add sugars and beat until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat for 1-2 minutes until fluffy & smooth. Add flour, baking soda & salt. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto non-greased cookie sheet. (I use a cookie scoop because I find it really is easier to use than spoons. I fought this for years because I didn't think I needed a cookie scoop...but I will say I love using a cookie scoop!) Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Cool slightly before removing to a wire rack or newspaper to cool completely.

Note: If you prefer crispier cookies then substitute 1/2 cup additional butter or margarine for the Crisco. Crisco will give the cookies a slightly fluffier texture which my family prefers. You can also substitute raw sugar for both of the sugars if you prefer. If you prefer a chocolate chocolate chip cookie then substitute 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder for 1/4 cup of flour. For mint chocolate chip cookies substitute 1 tsp. mint extract for 1 tsp. vanilla extract. 


Gluten Free Flour Blend Recipe:
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
  • 1 cup white rice flour (I used sweet rice flour for this batch)
  • 1/2 cup glutinous rice flour (made from sticky rice, gluten free)
  • 1 cup potato starch (not flour)
  • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk, make sure it is very fine in texture
  • 1 cup corn starch or tapioca starch (I used corn starch for this batch)
  • 3 tbs. xanthan gum
Combine all ingredients together well. I store mine in a glass container and use it in place of regular flour in all my recipes. This particular blend I really like for baked sweet goods. 





You can also easily layer the dry ingredients in a jar for gift giving. I layered the recipe in a jar but substituted M&M candies and added some sprinkles since it was going to friends with small kids and it just looks nicer for them with all the colors! I just attached instructions to dump contents into a bowl & mix with butter, crisco, eggs & vanilla or almond extract & included the baking instructions. Quick, easy and no mess for me to clean up & they can bake them at their convenience. I just attached a ribbon and spatula to the jar. This is a great gift for the holidays for friends, neighbors, teachers, bus drivers, college kids or anyone that loves cookies! 

Enjoy!
Tanja
Gluten Free Casually


No comments:

Post a Comment